Air intrusion between tank and water sep??? Help!!!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dropped the front tank on my 87 and fixed the showerhead issue, haven't got to the rear YET. Anyway I have the water separator bypassed for now and have a clear fuel filter in it's place. The truck idles fine and drives fine (smokes a little white/grey and lacks power) but while watching the clear filter at the fire wall I can see small air bubbles coming from the tank side. The filter just ever so slowly is filling with less fuel and more air. The air bubbles are probabl only the size of some #5 or #6 birdshot pellets and only comes about every 2 seconds at idle.

Is there anyway to test it to track down where the air is getting in? I haven't noticed any leaks while shut down. My truck has the quick fittings (push lock) at the tank and both sides of the FSV. Also is there a way to test the FSV? Currently I am NOT using the rear tank.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For years I have used those clear plastic filters ahead of both the mechanical lift-pump and the auxilliary electric-pump.

Some times I will see a filter plumb full of air; the next time I look, maybe there will be hardly any air at all.

This has never affected the starting or running of the engine.

I have went so far as to install a bleeder-screw immediately above one of the filters.

I can purge every last molecule of air from the filter and five minutes later the filter may be half full of air. :dunno

If the engine starts and runs fine, I would not let it worry me. :)

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. That makes me feel a little better. It just seems like I'm getting a little more air at the schrader than I should and the truck seems sluggish. BUT I haven't had it out on the open road yet. Truck was sitting for 10 years and finally got a new motor in it and I'm just working all the bugs out in what little spare time I have. I went and got tags and insurance for it the other day tho, so I'm gonna start driving it around close to home and see how it does. I think it just needs a whole fuel system re-fresh $$$ :(

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
alot of it could be bled back from the last time it was shut down i guess power strokes had severe issues with that so the fix was a 1 way check valve at the tank you unclip the line from sending unit clip on check valve clip line onto it.

like midnight stated itll probably always be there heck thats the number one selling point for and airdog system but as long as it runs fine no worries