Air Filter

MUDDY

Reaction score
aint that the system that comes w/ a k&n. if so u dont want it. and u dont want nuthin unless it comes w/ a pg7

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works on a Ford

I havent looked under the hood of one of them fancy new Dodges, I'm afeard to get the hives if I do. But on the old Fords we use a paper open element filter to replace the junk airbox that used to let dust into the turbo. Takes a 4" diameter piece of 45* exhaust tubing and NAPA Part# FIL6637 and about 30 minutes of your time. None of us guys use a KN style either.

You must be registered for see images attach

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Re: Works on a Ford

Originally posted by 95_stroker
But on the old Fords we use a paper open element filter to replace the junk airbox that used to let dust into the turbo. Takes a 4" diameter piece of 45* exhaust tubing and NAPA Part# FIL6637 and about 30 minutes of your time. None of us guys use a KN style either.
Or get a pre made Tymar setup...no K&N here!

Attachments

• tymar.jpg
    tymar.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 99

rubberfish

Reaction score
What is it that you guys don't like about the K&N filters?
Do they let to much dust pass, or what?

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey Muddy, is it the filter itself, or that people don't care for them properly, ie: cleaning and oiling. I use one in my truck, and the only trouble I've had is, I used to over oil it and the excess would get into the intake and gum **** up. Since I've learned to service it the right way I haven't had any troubles. Although, I don't spend a lot of time on dusty back roads. I read a post a while back at another site and it seemed like a bunch of people tossed thiers in the trash.

MUDDY

Reaction score
bob, proper maintainance is VERY important. overoiling is bad. and lack of oiling,,the dry dust sucks the oil out so not enuffoil is there to filtr the dirt. even w/ a pg7 ya gotta take care of it.

too many cases of k&n's lettin too much dirt in even w/ proper care. several w/ too large of holes in em too. the pg7 has more layers for bttr filtering. there is a link to a test of filters i hope someone can post. shows stock being best filtering and pg7 close. k&n is poor and so is the new uni. amsoil aint too good and it shows a few others too. flow of k and n is good. flows air and dirt. :( pg7 has decent flow of air but less than k and n. bttr than stock. this test was done on a dmax if someone remembrs where to find it

MUDDY

Reaction score
btw,,,,,,,,,imo,,,,,if ya run less than 300-325 rwhp id just cut holes in bottom of airbox and use stck fltr

Whit

Reaction score
Regaurdless of which kind of filter you run it is good to do a dust check to see if any dust is getting by the filter, a whit cloth will tell a big story, the KN drop in is famous for not getting a good seal around the edges and folks like to put a bead of grease to help seal it. The best way to prove your filter is thru oil analisis, dust in the oil will show up as silicon.

MUDDY

Reaction score
thx sub0,,,,,,,,,that the one. good info in that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726