Air compressor question

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I havent been on here in a while but today I scored an air compressor off of a 1976 Ford 750 with a 391 gas job. I took the thing figurein there has got to be a way to rig it to a pickup(once I get one). So is there a way to rig it up and is there a way to rig up a clutch mechanism to shut it off or should I just put a pressure blow off valve like on trucks. I wouldnt want to kill the hypothetical fuel mileage of my hypothetical truck.

Chris

tractorman86

Reaction score
well chris u are making the mistake i once made! only start building a truck that u have because if u end up not getting it, it is much more depressing when u have plans and ideas that cant be answered at the time. ah wat the hell! i am pretty sure it is the right compressor i believe it will be a model 210

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If it is a Model 210 then it is quite easy to rig up an onboard system if you get a truck with AC and V Belts.Currently,I am building the bracketry myself.But DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING till you get a truck.If you get a truck without AC then you have to built a totally different setup.If you get a truck with serpentine belt system then the V belt setup won't work(And the $150 Clutch Pully is worthless to you).So,Get you a rig,then Figure out what you need.Pretty simple setup.On the V belt AC truck all you need is a belt,York compressor,plate of 1/4" steel around 5x7(little bigger but don't have my blue print handy),3 tabs welded on(one on bottom for adjuster,2 on one end to mount to engine as a pivot/hinge),and a adjustment bar(round tube with tab on top,all thread in bottom with nut to run it out and method to secure it to the engine)

Freight_Train

Reaction score
oh,the hardest part of the build it trying to find a decent tank.Those Cheap things on Ebay and the net used in Air Ride systems are total junk IMO.Thin wall,No coating on the inside,potential 115 Gallon airGrenade,and not Certified.Pretty much,Keep away from them.You want a DOT Approved and/Or ASME Certified Air tank.....which means that it was actually tested correctly and is designed to handle constant useage unlike the formentioned death traps.Now if you just want to run air horns and maybe air up tires,all you will need is a 5 gallon tank off a semi.You can get them pretty cheap(around 30-40 bucks).

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent thought about building mounts yet. I snagged the mount for the 391 because I figured it would be eaiser to right that up to work than make my own whole mount. This summer I should be gettin a truck once I start gettin some money coming in from workin. Just another reason why I think school is worthless, i cant make any money workin on school days. Only saturdays and days off. Well I only have another 2 years...
Thanks
Chris

Freight_Train

Reaction score
school ain't worthless....if I hadn't finished highschool I wouldn't be making $15.27 an hour doing nothing.Load a part,Hit a green button,stand back.Instead I would be saying,"Want Fries with that?"Money will come.So will bills,payments,responsibilities,Headaches.Employers really frown on drop outs now days.Not so much the ones that dropped out in the 70s or 80s but they really push the New age drop outs into the "Last ditch" pile.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, that is beauty! Would love to see an article on that whole deal.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Well,I might have to help ya out.Taking some Stainless steel to work with me today for a little "Government work."

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, beautiful job!!

Any chance you might be able to explain how the adjustment mechanism works? Also, did you have to modify the a/c high pressure hose any? I noticed it's running real close to the air compressor. Lastly, how hard was it to find a two-groove pulley for the power steering pump?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Heath, beautiful job!!

Any chance you might be able to explain how the adjustment mechanism works? Also, did you have to modify the a/c high pressure hose any? I noticed it's running real close to the air compressor. Lastly, how hard was it to find a two-groove pulley for the power steering pump?
Actually, I going to do an article on this modification. The carrage bolt on the adjuster goes into the 1/2 in square on top of the PS pump bracket. The end with the 90 rod goes into the hole in the plate on the bottom of the bracket (see the above photos to get an idea as to what I'm talking about). The fine thread and adjuster/lock nuts move the York bracket up and away from the PS bracket, and that tightens the belt. The AC hose had to be moved just a little (at least my hose did, don't know if they all are bent like mine). The PS pump had a dual groove pully when I got the truck. I think it would not be too hard to find one from an autoparts store or Ford.

Heath, that is beauty! Would love to see an article on that whole deal.
I'm going to work on the article this weekend.

Heath