air bags like a bug truck

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I am trying to find a way to eliminate my leaf springs.
the only thing i can come up with is like the air leaf suspention on some peterbuilt trucks.
could I maby mod my old spings to do this or am I just missing somthing simple?
You must be registered for see images attach

that is what they looklike for a big truck and what I would like on my truck.
any help would be nice.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Diesel4me2 had a 4 corner bags system on his truck for awhile. It was quite the system but after an incident hauling his fiver, he went back to rear springs.
He's going to be at Darrins fall meet next weekend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall his mess driving home from the 2009 ralley. Something about maybe useing a walmark parking lot to place some 4x4 lumber in the blown out bag on the rear or something around this... Sometimes we don't see whats happening till its about 1 mile too late. Didn't the bag move and rub the tire. Then blow out...:dunno

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall his mess driving home from the 2009 ralley. Something about maybe useing a walmark parking lot to place some 4x4 lumber in the blown out bag on the rear or something around this... Sometimes we don't see whats happening till its about 1 mile too late. Didn't the bag move and rub the tire. Then blow out...:dunno

I've never had a bag blow out before nor have I ever heard of it. Normally they dry rot after 15+ years or develop a very slow leak.

Last edited:

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a bag blow out before nor have I ever heard of it. Normally they dry rot after 15+ years or develope a very slow leak.

We had a bag blow out on our walking floor trailer once. Other than that yeah its always the old develop a slow leak deal.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
well my thinking is that they are almost standard equipment on OTR trucks so why would a unit close to them in style not work on our trucks?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I did an add on support air bag setup on the rear of mine that was a bit different than any of the kits to where the bag is mounted aft of the axle . I have a constant duty compressor on the system with an auto leveler that keeps it at a slight pressure at all times so it is always on air that keeps the ride softer when empty and keeps it level no matter what I load it down with. One day when I get to feeling rich and energetic, I'm going to add a second set of bags forward of the axle so it rocks on the 4 bag setup and will basically hardly ever find the springs, they will just be there for directional control.( they are doing a lot of that now)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A better picture.

http://kelderman.com/ford_super_duty_4_link_rear_air_suspension_towing

These kits are quite pricey but hey, a new truck is 58,000 so a few grand for a better ride isn't all bad. I would think that the superduty kit could be adapted to our trucks relatively easily.
I thought it was going to be something like $10K or higher. If that $3400 price is for everything to convert the rear suspension setup to their system...for what you're getting, that doesn't seem like a bad price to me. Not sure it's worth it to me, but that price doesn't seem out of line...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That does not include the auto leveling system but heck, you could plumb schrader valves in for under 25 bucks and save for the compressor at a later date.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does not include the auto leveling system but heck, you could plumb schrader valves in for under 25 bucks and save for the compressor at a later date.
Yeah, I caught that after my post...the compressor/leveling valve setup isn't mandatory, but it seems to me that, if you want air bags, you're going to want the leveling valve also. At the same time, I don't know what air compressors at that volume and leveling valves go for...for that matter, I imagine you could find a leveling valve at a big-rig wrecking yard that could be used in this setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online