Ahhhh fudge...need some help...blue smoke after IP & injector R&R

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The plunger is easily adjustable and the timing mark you shoot the lite at is probably under lots of dirt. Clean off the tab. The short adapter hole is the timing tab you want. You can see and feel it when the tab is clean. The dampner has a groove cut in it too.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned that because I was just about to ask. The timing tab is kinda rusty and I can't really make out anything on it. So, I'll shoot to line it up with the short adapter.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm well this is interesting...

I got the timing adapter and gun hooked up and shot it and the timing mark is dead on with that short adapter. But, it's still idling kinda rough and spitting some blue smoke even on the cold idle advance. :confused:

Edit: OK a little more info.

When I started it cold the mark was lined up with the short adapter so I kicked on the idle advance to see what it would do and it was still lined up with that adapter. While I was typing this post the advance kicked off so I went down and checked it again and the mark was about 1/8" above the centerline of the short adapter. Does it need advanced some?

Edit #2: I advanced it about a dime's width, not much of a change really...

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the initial eval after a drive...

Despite the fact that I advanced the timing a fair bit from the original position, it's still running like it's retarded. Egt's are too low (couldn't hit 1000* uphill on the highway). How much more should I advance it?

Good news is that the blue smoke disappeared after the truck warmed up a bit.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried retarding it? How do you know its not running like a too far advanced truck?

Are you familiar with the way a IDI sounds with a rebuilt pump and too retarded?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No...but it doesn't have an excessive amount of diesel clatter, that was what I was judging it by.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what you said about the timing, your too far retarded. Clean off the damper and timing plate. On the plate you'll find a 0- mark, on the damper a groove. I use a soap stone marker and fill in the marks, easier to see. Time at ~2000 RPM.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is still a retarded, but I've gotten it to where I can barely turn it any more toward the passenger side. It idles and runs better than it originally did but there's still a little smoke at idle. It fires right up a lot better than it did with the old pump and injectors though, which is a plus.

Also I can't make out any marks on my timing marker, it's rusty and the surface is rough. I tried wiping my fingers across it and even wiping a little grime on it to see if anything would stand out but it didn't help.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I advanced the timing even just a smidge more from where it was before and it's sounding and feeling a bit more like it should now.

But I'm still noticing a couple things...for example it still feels a little rough at idle. Also I still can't hit 1000 degrees on the EGT which seems odd. I turned this pump up 2 flats before I even installed it. Maybe I need to turn it up a little more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes