Aftermarket fuel filter locations

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im working on an 85 that has had the factory water separator removed from the firewall (bypassed anyways). It has an aftermarket spin on filter/water separator mounted on the frame rail about a foot ahead of the FSV. Its working fine, but...its really hokie and I want it out from under the vehicle. Could I mount it or another unit up where the factory water separator was? Would this create strain on the lift pump (stock) with the filter mounted up so high and pulling fuel through it? My 84 n my sig has an old Racor225 mounted there and it has been great but maybe im just lucky.... Im thinking that the pump could start pulling air past the hose clamps after the filter if there is too much restriction trying to pull fuel through??

What do you guys think? Too high for an aftermarket fuel filter or does it even matter? I just like to not have to crawl under the truck in the rain to change a filter so I want to locate it more serviceable.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock lift pump (at least on the 7.3, not sure where the 6.9 plumbing) pushes through the filter. I'd say that it'd be a much safer and longer lasting setup to push through an aftermarket filter.

My thought is that any extra supply restriction (the height change is no biggie) to the lift pump can strain the diaphragm inside.

Most carb'd cars use the same "push thru filter" setup.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the 7.3 filter head is the easy way to filter the fuel pluf you can get the water in fuel circut too. Someday I will finish my psd filter modification for our 7.3 idi and post pics.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the 7.3 filter head is the easy way to filter the fuel pluf you can get the water in fuel circut too. Someday I will finish my psd filter modification for our 7.3 idi and post pics.

hopefully sooner than later, this is very very interesting!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah it does kill two birds with one stone doesn't it. However, they are more prone to leaks with the heater and drain ports; then the simple 6.9 header, but if you gotta have a seperate water seperator, there are then that many more possible leak locations. So good point, its a logical upgrade. Also, the 6.9 filters seem to be 5 micron whereas the 7.3's are 10 micron.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is mounted on my fan shroud. Does not hang down below anything.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Water separators do a better job before the pump so were your is at is a good location,but I know how you feel getting under truck to change it. Why not go with another racor? Is your racor the one with the built in primer pump? Those are real handy. I would mount it were factory filter is.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I would like to install my spare Racor 225 in the same location as where my water separator was, just want to be sure its ok and the stock lift pump will pull through it fine. I would love a built in primer!!!! Thats a great upgrade for out trucks!! But, the Racor 225's (which is what I have on the shelf) don't have a primer. They are an old design. But seem to work well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The leaks found with the 7.3 heads is another reason I will be modifying a 2001 psd filter to fit our idi engines. On the psd filters the heater id at the bottom of the filter. Not the top like the idi. The heater and the water in fuel electrical plug in all in the same harnes plug too. Its just making the fuel discharge header to get fuel to the injection pump is where I have design issues. This psd filter head / can will bolt directly to the original filter mount too. So its very doable.

tenlug

Reaction score
On my 85 kinda went with what your trying to get away from, crawling under to drain water. Anyway, I put a racor R45p (30 micron) just past the fsv. This racor has a see thur bottom cap with drain, hand pump and heater element. Then into a holley red pump on the frame rail, then into the mechincal pump. Next up is a 6.9 filter (6 micron?) I know a lota guys here won't run electric into mechincal but I've run this way on many motors and never had a problem. Also built a check valve and T set up so if the holley quits it will run on the mech pump only. This set up gives me about 6 psi at the filter head. Works for me.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running a Racor 445 filter head with a 30 micron filter on the firewall in place of the stock FWS. It has the clear bowl and drain valve. It even fits the mounting studs used for the original . So far (11k) no issues using a mechanical fuel pump.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Napa filter head with water separator setup (comparable to wix and a few others) in the stock location. I then got mad at how long the system took to prime and removed the mech pump to put an electric one on. But maybe I'm just impatient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That Racor 445 sure looks like a nice unit. The idea of a mechanical primer pump on our engines is great. I notice you are running a 30 micron filter. I wonder if im going overboard with using a 2 micron filter in my 225? It flows 45GPH so I don't imagine there would be much restriction on our engines even with a 2 micron filter. I have never had one plug up yet or even look all that dirty when I replaced them

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
45 gph is over double what we need the racor 7 micron that fits our trucks is only rated at 20 gph. I have ran a racor 200 turbine style with 2 micron filters and that is only rated at 15 gph with no problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.53.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.53.34 PM.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online