Aftermarket Exhaust System Upgrades

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I've got an early 94 7.3 IDI factory Turbo XLT and I bought my exhaust thru Banks and it's a killer deal.Install was about 2 hours as you have to take the box off intake and get up into the engine bay to take the smashed down leg pipe off turbo.You do have to push the firewall seam down alittle but basic install with the rest a no brainer and goes right back in place.The difference they state is 40hp and 90fts. of torque.Made a big difference in the performance of my truck and gained 3mpg extra on the road and I did install good performance air filter also.If you need the parts I can get them for you but well worth the money.

I just bought the downpipe from Banks this morning. I guessing the one you have is the one I bought since I think they only make the one for the Ford factory turbo. The one I bought bolts directley to the stock outlet/elbow and is about 2.5". How much did you have to bend the firewall seam down??

Did you notice any difference in your EGT's after the downpipe install ??

What kind of exhaust and muffler (if your running one) do you have from the downpipe on back ???

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
The Turbo pipe is 3.5 in size.The seam is bent slightly as I used a cresent wrench and bent alittle at a time down until it cleared the pipe and foil heat barrier.I bought a complete kit with Dynamax muffler and tail pipe as the stuff is 3.5 back to muffler with 4 inch tail pipe.Well worth the price as I said before as this kit woke my truck up.Everyone said that the crushed down leg behind turbo and muffler kills the 7.3 and it does.The stock crushed 3 inch down leg with 2.5 in front of muffler kills the power.The other thing I will do is have the cross over underneath mandrel bent into 2.5 stainless as it's small 2 inch and bends are closed up as that should really wake it up for what little cash I spent!

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
The Turbo pipe is 3.5 in size.The seam is bent slightly as I used a cresent wrench and bent alittle at a time down until it cleared the pipe and foil heat barrier.I bought a complete kit with Dynamax muffler and tail pipe as the stuff is 3.5 back to muffler with 4 inch tail pipe.Well worth the price as I said before as this kit woke my truck up.Everyone said that the crushed down leg behind turbo and muffler kills the 7.3 and it does.The stock crushed 3 inch down leg with 2.5 in front of muffler kills the power.The other thing I will do is have the cross over underneath mandrel bent into 2.5 stainless as it's small 2 inch and bends are closed up as that should really wake it up for what little cash I spent!

Thanks for the info.... I may have ordered something different. The down pipe I ordered fits the stock outlet/elbow at 2.25" and opens up to 2 7/8" outer diameter and will slide into a 3 standard inch pipe. It's supposedly a direct bolt on with no firewall mods or special mounting hardware.

The plan is to open it up after the 2 7/8" downpipe to a 3 1/2" pipe all the way out. Haven't decided whether I'm going to put a muffler on yet or not. I don't want it to sound like a drag car but would like it to have a nice rumble.

What part number was you Banks downpipe and what part number on your Dynomax muffler, if you remember ????

How loud is it with your current set up ??

Did you re-use your heat foil off the stock downpipe or by new heat foil ??

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Sounds just a tad louder then stock and new heat shield comes with kit.Old shield won't fit pipe but I wanted a muffler as I use my truck to tow etc. so I like it nice and clean.Don't have a EGT gauge as basic stock truck but may add some mechanical gauges at later date.I need to have my IP redone as just over 100G mileage and in hot weather it is tough to start.I understand they got another company to make mufflers as either Dynamax wasn't keeping up with production or something so I understand they dropped them.

Last edited:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you guys post a link to the banks pipe you are buying? I did not think they made anything for the factory turbo.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
can you guys post a link to the banks pipe you are buying? I did not think they made anything for the factory turbo.

Look at the link I've listed below........ It has the info. I didn't realize Banks sold a downpipe either for a Ford factory turbo but they do. It's not on the Banks website. You have to call Banks and give them the part number and they can pull it up that way. I ordered mine yesterday morning ($111.00 shipped to my door) and the guy told me they are making 10 at a time when they are produced. They have to re-tool to make them, so they basically make enough for demand.

The downpipe uses the stock V clamp and bolts directly to the stock 2.25 factory tubo outlet/elbow. The diameter of the downpipe is actually 2 7/8" so it's not quite 3" but supposedly with this down pipe, no firewall mods are necessary. With the 3" ATS you have to modify the firewall and change the Outlet/elbow out to a 3" which ATS doesn't currently have in stock.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38765&highlight=banks+downpipe

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I will give them a call. So it looks like this pipe will need to be welded on to a new exhaust pipe and will not bolt to stock?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I will give them a call. So it looks like this pipe will need to be welded on to a new exhaust pipe and will not bolt to stock?

That would be my guess as its probably a different length but it might be a good question to ask when you call Banks to order it........

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Most all the stuff they make slips on each piece.Better to buy the exhaust kit as the stock pipe is 2.5 inch and tail pipe is 3 inch.Muffler kills the torque and after you install this stuff you'll be glad you did as you'll see a big difference.The kit is aluminized also

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Most all the stuff they make slips on each piece.Better to buy the exhaust kit as the stock pipe is 2.5 inch and tail pipe is 3 inch.Muffler kills the torque and after you install this stuff you'll be glad you did as you'll see a big difference.The kit is aluminized also

I'm having a buddy at a muffler shop fab my exhaust from the Downpipe on back, so for myself, I wasn't going to worry about whether it would bolt up to what I already have on the truck because that's all comming off any way.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Not sure what brand my down pipe is. I kno its not flattened at all. its 3" i know and I run 4" straight back to bout where the bed and cab meet bout 8inches behind the bed edge. and then turned out. Cost me around $150 to do it welding with the brackets and all.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so looking at redoing my exhaust. its currently 3" the whole way from the turbo. where is the happy spot 4", or 5" straight pipe?

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Anything before the down leg over 3.5 inch does NO good unless the motor is turned way up and most of us just have a truck we use for towing!

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh i get that the rest is overkill to a point but sound and in theory more flow would be gained from bigger piping. but i guess 4" or 5" would be fine with no real difference between the 2