Aftermarket Exhaust System Upgrades

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Steve at Ext 109. He told me they had them in stock and charged my CC, so they had at least one !! He said sometimes they are on backorder but they still get them and sell them. :dunno

i talked to mike at i think ext 107 he knows whats going on!

I just called, and who ever I talked to placed me on backorder. Are these guys telling you that they are in stock?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I just called, and who ever I talked to placed me on backorder. Are these guys telling you that they are in stock?

Just talked to Steve at Ext 109 again. He just told me that the down pipe part # 205-903-3056 is in stock but the 4" Turbo back exhaust system part # 205-913-3056 that they sell many times with the down pipe is on backorder. Be sure to specify the down pipe and part number, maybe they are getting it confused with the turbo back exhaust system. As you can see there is only one digit difference in the part number.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to Steve at Ext 109 again. He just told me that the down pipe part # 205-903-3056 is in stock but the 4" Turbo back exhaust system part # 205-913-3056 that they sell many times with the down pipe is on backorder. Be sure to specify the down pipe and part number, maybe they are getting it confused with the turbo back exhaust system. As you can see there is only one digit difference in the part number.

I told the guy the part number from their site, and its the same number you listed, the 903 number. He said it was on back order. I am going to call back in a few minutes and ask for Steve.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Steve, and he says that is the correct part number for us, and they do show up as "in stock" online....but according to him they are not in stock, they are backordered. He said it will be at least a few weeks before they have them again.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
He never clarified that with me, just told me they were in stock. I ordered the complete ATS exhaust system from them just to make the install easier and I'm in no rush for the down pipe because the rest of the exhaust system is on back order any way. ATS is the ONLY place I have found that offers a aftermarket larger down pipe for my Ford factory turbo.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He never clarified that with me, just told me they were in stock. I ordered the complete ATS exhaust system from them just to make the install easier and I'm in no rush for the down pipe because the rest of the exhaust system is on back order any way. ATS is the ONLY place I have found that offers a aftermarket larger down pipe for my Ford factory turbo.

Can you please post back when you get your exhaust? Also, are those the factory hub caps/ wheels on your avatar picture?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Can you please post back when you get your exhaust? Also, are those the factory hub caps/ wheels on your avatar picture?

Will do...... Hopefully it won't be more then a couple weeks before I get it, although I have heard some ***** stories about how long the backorders can take from ATS. Steve said he should have everything drop shipped within the next 2 weeks so we will see.

Believe it or not, the hub caps are identical to the Ford factory hub caps but they are reproductions I got off ebay for $40.00 for all 4. They aren't quite as heavy plastic as the Ford factory ones but they look identical and have held up perfect for more then a year.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do...... Hopefully it won't be more then a couple weeks before I get it, although I have heard some ***** stories about how long the backorders can take from ATS. Steve said he should have everything drop shipped within the next 2 weeks so we will see.

Believe it or not, the hub caps are identical to the Ford factory hub caps but they are reproductions I got off ebay for $40.00 for all 4. They aren't quite as heavy plastic as the Ford factory ones but they look identical and have held up perfect for more then a year.

How much is shipping on the exhaust? I may just get the whole thing. If you buy the turbo back set up is it made to all bolt together without any modifications?

Do you have a link to the hubcaps you bought on ebay? I know some of them only have 7 "lugs", also do they fit over top of the 4x4 hub, or does the hub go though the center of them? If you have more of a close up picture of them could you pm them to me, so I do not clog up this thread with OT stuff.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Ok.................. Did some more investigation and after reading alot more forums and posts, I just cancelled my entire order with ATS-cuss........... Here's the reason. The 3 " elbow outlet housing that is needed to convert the turbo outlet from 2.5" to 3" does not come with the 3" downpipe, nor does it come with the Turbo back exhaust system.:mad: So...... bottom line is.......... A downpipe and exhaust does me no good without the 3" elbow off the turbo to connect it to. ATS says they are in the process of fabricating these parts and they are looking at 2-3 months before they are back in production and ready to sell or ship. ATS couldn't even give me a cost of a new one since they don't know what the cost will be at this point to put them in production cookoo............... Back to square one with stock equipment !!!!!! It really shouldn't be this hard to make simple upgrades on our trucks.:dunno

Oh by the way...... According to the PDF installation documentation and ATS, the turbo elbow, downpipe and turbo back exhaust system is completely bolt on with no welding required. From everything I have read, the only real modification is bending the seem back on the firewall to allow room for the 3" downpipe to fit and clear the firewall and transmission. Maybe someone on this forum has installed one of these and will chime in to let us know if it's just that easy. Supposely, it's a 3 hour install at home with basic hand tools...................:dunno

Cardana24 -- I'll PM you the link to ebay and see if I can find some close up pics of the wheel covers.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 hour installation my ass...

I suppose that IF you could actually get at the bolts on the stock exhaust elbow to remove them it might only take 3 hours. But with the turbo on the truck, it is very difficult.

Complicating the whole job is the fact that they used weird bolts there that are 8mm bolts, but have a smaller head than an 8mm bolt normally would- and on something involved in the exhaust you never want a smaller head than normal.

Honestly, I had to remove my turbo for other reasons when I did mine and I'm glad I did. As I stated, it's difficult to reach, plus those bolts are notorious for snapping off due to all the heat cycling. I bought the whole kit which was turbine housing, elbow, and downpipe (that was all they sold at the time) and ended up just swapping out the turbine housing and elbow rather than try to get the old ones apart.

One nice thing about the setup is that once you have the 3" downpipe installed, you can basically use whatever you want behind it. If you want a tailpipe, you can get a 4" one from Walker, and a 4" hanger clamp, and then run a piece of straight pipe from the downpipe to the tailpipe, doesn't need any bends.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
That's what I figured would happen. Someone linked to a kit from hypermax, but I was in able to find anything that included a down pipe for a IDI, only PSD's

PZ

Ok.................. Did some more investigation and after reading alot more forums and posts, I just cancelled my entire order with ATS-cuss........... Here's the reason. The 3 " elbow outlet housing that is needed to convert the turbo outlet from 2.5" to 3" does not come with the 3" downpipe, nor does it come with the Turbo back exhaust system.:mad: So...... bottom line is.......... A downpipe and exhaust does me no good without the 3" elbow off the turbo to connect it to. ATS says they are in the process of fabricating these parts and they are looking at 2-3 months before they are back in production and ready to sell or ship. ATS couldn't even give me a cost of a new one since they don't know what the cost will be at this point to put them in production cookoo............... Back to square one with stock equipment !!!!!! It really shouldn't be this hard to make simple upgrades on our trucks.:dunno

Oh by the way...... According to the PDF installation documentation and ATS, the turbo elbow, downpipe and turbo back exhaust system is completely bolt on with no welding required. From everything I have read, the only real modification is bending the seem back on the firewall to allow room for the 3" downpipe to fit and clear the firewall and transmission. Maybe someone on this forum has installed one of these and will chime in to let us know if it's just that easy. Supposely, it's a 3 hour install at home with basic hand tools...................:dunno

Cardana24 -- I'll PM you the link to ebay and see if I can find some close up pics of the wheel covers.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Yep............. ATS is the ONLY company that makes an larger outlet elbow for the factory ford turbo, of course that's because it was made by ATS. The whole ATS thing really ****&*&^) me off. They haven't even produced the outlet/elbow and the downpipe and exhaust are on backorder.............. I've pretty much decided I'm not dealing with ATS and am going to my buddies muffler shop and fab something up myself.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
I've got an early 94 7.3 IDI factory Turbo XLT and I bought my exhaust thru Banks and it's a killer deal.Install was about 2 hours as you have to take the box off intake and get up into the engine bay to take the smashed down leg pipe off turbo.You do have to push the firewall seam down alittle but basic install with the rest a no brainer and goes right back in place.The difference they state is 40hp and 90fts. of torque.Made a big difference in the performance of my truck and gained 3mpg extra on the road and I did install good performance air filter also.If you need the parts I can get them for you but well worth the money.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Garrett is right on that one. I have the ATS 3" elbow, and it is a pain in the ass. Not only are the bolts hard to get to, and 8mm, but they are 12 pt bolt heads. Whose the genius that came up with that?

But I do have their 3" downpipe as well (slip fit garbage). I would really recommend trying to have a shop make you something with a flange.

Then I have it into a 4" exhaust all the way to the tailpipe, no muffler. It is very quiet to me, with a deep tone. Just my opinion. Throw a straight pipe on, then you can add a muffler if you don't like the sound. That's easier than buying a muffler, then deciding you want a straightpipe. Just my two cents. Good luck.