adding speakers, add an amp?

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
if you want a cheap amp look at your junk yards for 90s model thunderbirds in the trunk on the plastic shelf is the factory amp.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Got any new pictures of your truck? It keeps making me jealous even though it's an ext cab.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, i look forward to seeing them. When you get some time if you remember, can ya measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender? I'm curious just how much lift you have over stock. Someday i'll get mine up there...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Why don't you just get another set of speakers and put them in the rear doors?
Or stuff some 6x9's under the rear seat, but facing forwards?

With that clear windshield tint, look through it with polarized sunglasses. All rainbowy and shiat, pretty trippy. LOL

Oh I have some 6x9 boxes, but you could buy new one's for the price of shipping.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
The only reason i can think for the stock speaker to be a lot louder than the new ones is if the ohms of the speaker are different. Hopefully you didn't damage the head by mixing them...

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt i damaged anything. IMO people over worry about stuff like that. Heck, when I worked with my buddy at his tow yard, he had a few boxes of aftermarket speakers he'd pull from the wrecked cars. Any car he owned he'd just swap in random ones from the box, never had an issue.

jasper - that sounds fun haha. I originally thought about the rear doors, i'll have to pop the door panel off and see what I got to work with in there. I don't expect too much from them, they're only $30 speakers but heaven knows stockers weren't fancy either. They're dead silent until about "30" on the volume, and the head unit tops out at 46 soooo just seems strange. Could the head be drawing more than the stock power wire can give? shrug

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set the fader to strictly front right now (without the third connected anymore). my god the difference re wiring makes. I still have to run a new power wire, but just switching over the ground and speaker wires changed like night and day. It was cake too, just unplug the plug in the kick panel, unplug at the speaker, tape new wires to one end and pull through, then do the same to get them up into the dash. couldn't be easier. I didn't end up using the factory plug anymore, just spliced directly to my head unit harness. Sounds great, volume has increased. Much much happier. i'll run a new power wire and see how that works out.

As far as tints, pics to come next post ;)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I know she needs a bath. It's a weekly thing living out here in the land of dirt and gravel. Maybe tomorrow

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a separate window. it doesn't roll down or anything. A total of 9 pieces of glass exluding the windshield lol