Added a TDI to the fleet....

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove from Ruston, LA to Houston, TX to pick up an 06 TDI Jetta. 135K miles, very clean, runs great. Easily faster than the mustang I traded for it. Made it a round trip, and got in about 1 this morning, and the car was awesome all the way. My wife gets up for work at 5 this morning, drives it to work and calls to tell me that there is something wrong, sounds like a big bump from time to time. So I run over to check it out and it sounds to me like a CV joint. Awesome. Almost got it apart, but I need a m10 triple square socket to get it done. Hopefully I can get this done today. Other than this, I LOVE the car. easy to get apart and fix so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kinda sad to be working on it already but enjoy the new ride.... Glad you got home safely and road trips are great when nothing happens.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YEah... i'm trying to not get too po'd at it so early. At least it's a part with a normal service interval and not a massive hard part failure. IT is financed, after all. And at least it happened 5 mins from home and not in downtown houston...I should probably go to church on sunday just for that one.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A triple square socket 10mm? If so that's a 10mm six point socket. If you have a Sears store near you, get the Evolve socket set, they are a quality set. Stay away from the Chinky stuff. Depending on wether you need a deep socket or regular.

Like one of these.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-dr/p-00934554000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=59&blockType=G59

http://www.sears.com/search=evolve ...5&autoRedirect=true&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evol...p-00916930000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@oldbull;

Nah I got plenty of that stuff. The triple square's bolt head looks like a torx head. But with 12 points. Hope I can find this locally without having to drive too far.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Danke schon idi econoline. I got receipts verifying a timing belt and coolant replacement at 110k so we're pretty good on that one anyway!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Welcome to the TDI club. We just got one two months ago. Got rid of that gas guzzler Honda Pilot....sheeesh, my 7.3 got better mileage. An 09 with 56k on it. My initial issue was light bulb a week into it. Judging from this thread, I'll have to investigate the CV and timing belt too.

Best mileage I got so far is 48mpg on a trip to Newport Beach and back.

It'll do 90 without feeling it. It sucks down to the road after 75, steering is positive and the seats rock!

I suppose we'll have to take these discussions to the other board?! LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Timing belt replacement interval is 100K, I would probably fudge a little on the lower side to be safe. I just took my white one in to have it done. Watched a guy who only works on TDI's do it, and learned a lot, now I can tackle it myself. Oh yeah, only took him an hour and a half.

You have a 06 so you have a BRM PD TDI. Besides the timing belt, pay attention to your camshaft, the BRM's like to wear them out. Use GOOD oil like Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 TDT 5w40. Use ONLY 5w40 oils. If you want specific find a 5w40 505.01 VW rated oil.

Timing belt kit is roughly $250. Lasts you 100K miles. It adds a whopping $0.0025 to the cost per mile. 1/4 of a penny/mile ;Sweet

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordguy,

I was thinking I would run Rotella t6. I listened to a bunch of videos of these PD engines with bad camshafts so I would know what to look for. The engine sounds good, and runs clean (no smoke except when you floor it, which I attribute to the malone stage 2 tune). From what I read, If I dont have cam problems now, I'm likely in the clear as long as I use a good oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online