Added a Scout to the mix

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a good electric shop around you and just have them rebuild the starter and give it more cranking power. It's easier and better than buying a new one. Looks like a good truck overall though!! Definitely less rust than I'm used to. If I can make a suggestion, get an N/A intake for yours though and build your own intake and filter for it. They have bigger ports and let the engine breath better than the turbo ones do. And those stock filter housings suck at letting good air flow into the engine.

Good info, thanks. I hope to wake it up a little, if possible, over time.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. I hope to wake it up a little, if possible, over time.

The Mercedes 300 series turbo diesels are good upgrades for the turbo's on the SD33. You can hybrid them or just use the entire MB turbo. They spool better and push higher boost. The exhaust "Elbow eliminator" is a great upgrade too.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mercedes 300 series turbo diesels are good upgrades for the turbo's on the SD33. You can hybrid them or just use the entire MB turbo. They spool better and push higher boost. The exhaust "Elbow eliminator" is a great upgrade too.

What kind of boost #'s do you get stock. I don't have a guage yet and was curious? I will be getting the exhaust done differently for sure. The PO used some 2.5 inch flex pipe w/ clamps in there and it is bothering me.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
What kind of boost #'s do you get stock. I don't have a guage yet and was curious? I will be getting the exhaust done differently for sure. The PO used some 2.5 inch flex pipe w/ clamps in there and it is bothering me.

Between 6 and 8 psi. And only at higher RPM's, which I don't like to push. The MB one will push between 10 and 12 if you do it right.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will mostly see slow speeds on the trail but I'll prob still put plates on it and cruise it into town once in a while. I'll be curious to see how it runs down the road at 55mph. I'm sure when I get a lift the 33's will drag it down considerably.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It will mostly see slow speeds on the trail but I'll prob still put plates on it and cruise it into town once in a while. I'll be curious to see how it runs down the road at 55mph. I'm sure when I get a lift the 33's will drag it down considerably.

Not TOO bad, but it still won't like it. I have 33's on mine and it doesn't like to get going above 60 mph. It does great on the trails though. You're running 3.73's if you've got the stock axles, which you probably do. Definitely get the MB turbo... it spools faster than the stock turbo does and will do better on trails for you.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not TOO bad, but it still won't like it. I have 33's on mine and it doesn't like to get going above 60 mph. It does great on the trails though. You're running 3.73's if you've got the stock axles, which you probably do. Definitely get the MB turbo... it spools faster than the stock turbo does and will do better on trails for you.

I will look at that tonight. The PO said 3.55's and I haven't looked yet. I'll have to look for the MB turbo.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I will look at that tonight. The PO said 3.55's and I haven't looked yet. I'll have to look for the MB turbo.

I guess it might be possible. I just thought they were always 3.73's. Binder Planet is where you'll want to go for the rest of the info. The guys there will help you with anything you need and there's plenty of info on the MB turbo.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some looking there. I was wondering what everyone ran for lift springs. I've heard mixed feelings about most brands.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I have done some looking there. I was wondering what everyone ran for lift springs. I've heard mixed feelings about most brands.

If you want to keep your stock axles, save yourself the trouble (and headache, and backache) and go with the skyjacker. It's the most expensive, but by far the best lift. I've run rough country and super lift, and neither is as good as skyjacker. Rough country is just that; definitely lives up to its name. Get the heavy duty lift shackles from ihonlynorth.com. And since you're going off road, the reverse shackle will be a good addition too.