Added a Scout to the mix

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in other diesel but I thought you guys might like to see it here too........

I came across this on CL Monday. I decided it was too nice to pass up. Someone at work wanted to buy my Jeep so I guess I thought I needed a diesel trail rig. Here's a couple pics.
Specs:
Nissan SD33T 116,141 miles
T19 4spd
Dana 300 t-case
Dana 44 axles (3.55 gears)
Body is really solid for the rust belt, top has never been off since new, purchased from second owner, factory AC (doesn't work), engine has no oil leaks (never seen that on a 30 yr old untouched engine). I plan on making a mild trail rig out of this and have a lot of fun. Open to cool ideas and comments towards the build. The pics are the only ones I have right now taken by the PO with a cell phone. I'm picking it up tonight and I'll have more before long.

Attachments

• diesel scout1.bmp
    99.4 KB · Views: 80
  • diesel scout2.bmp
    99.4 KB · Views: 35

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet!

You're not kidding about there being not a lot of rust on that for your area! I lived in central Indiana for a couple of years back in the 1980s and remember seeing a number of Scouts (what was left of them, anyways) and was amazed at the amount of rust.

I had the 4-cylinder version (SD22) of that Nissan engine in a 1981 720 pickup that I owned for a couple of years.

Use a diesel additive (I like Powerservice) or biodiesel to keep your IP lubed.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todd, that's a great looking (as best as I can tell by the phone photosLOL) Scout. Diesel to boot.;Sweet Maybe one of these days I try and add one to the driveway. Dad had one when I was a kid, but it was stolen and not recovered.

Give us some more photos when you get a chance.

Heath

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
VERY NICE!!! I had 2 SD25's in pickups and they were very reliable.
The diesel scout probably the next in line for best SUV after the diesel cruiser. In my opinion.

octopus

Reaction score
nice! my dad had one of those, said the body just rusted away, still ran fine though. probably didn't help that we lived on cape cod either.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yank the gutless SD33 and swap in a 6.9 or a 345. mine was such a pig, the only good part was 24 mpg, but my 6.9 averages 20 and has triple the power. it is a nice looking scout though! ;Sweet

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sold my international truck at christmas, had a great running 345 gasser. Just had no use for it. 1964 IIRC.

jbuck

Reaction score
That's cool and looks to be in really good shape. Not your typical 4x4 that you see everday. Nice find

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yank the gutless SD33 and swap in a 6.9 or a 345. mine was such a pig, the only good part was 24 mpg, but my 6.9 averages 20 and has triple the power. it is a nice looking scout though! ;Sweet
You actually got 24 mpg out of an SD-33?!? Lucky you...the best I can figure, I averaged 17 mpg with my SD-33T. Of course, the cracked piston probably did not help matters LOL

Still waiting for better pictures :sly like I said in the other thread, that Scout looks a lot/ like my old Scout, complete with the black paint and white "Rallye" stripes. Only major difference is, it looks like your body isn't being held together by rust particles holding hands :rotflmao

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Id keep that SD in there. Just for the sake of how rare it is and probably more reliable than the 6.9l. They run real nice at low rpms like when out in the bush and whatnot. Not surprised if you get mid 20's for mpg if driven easy.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
You actually got 24 mpg out of an SD-33?!? Lucky you...the best I can figure, I averaged 17 mpg with my SD-33T. Of course, the cracked piston probably did not help matters LOL

Still waiting for better pictures :sly like I said in the other thread, that Scout looks a lot/ like my old Scout, complete with the black paint and white "Rallye" stripes. Only major difference is, it looks like your body isn't being held together by rust particles holding hands :rotflmao

On the highway and just putting around it would. If I attempted to go fast it'd do high teens.

And the 6.9 is 1000 times more reliable and cheaper to maintain.my SD had 55k mikes when it popped. pushed out a headgasket. When I pulled the head every piston was starting to crack, and between every valve was cracked....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the 6.9 is 1000 times more reliable and cheaper to maintain.my SD had 55k mikes when it popped. pushed out a headgasket. When I pulled the head every piston was starting to crack, and between every valve was cracked....
That, sadly, doesn't surprise me. I have no one to blame for my SD-33T's death except myself...I learned the hard way that running an engine at 1300 degrees post-turbo EGT for 5 minutes isn't good for the engine's health :shocked: :rotflmao I actually tried to price a rebuild at the time...and to say that parts are hideously expensive for these engines is a gross understatement. I don't remember the exact number, but I think I was looking at over $2K just in parts :shocked: you can really only find parts for the SD-33's at forklift shops, and with how rare these engines are even there, they're still hard to find an expensive when you can. I was a broke junior college student at the time and the body was so rusted out that a rebuild wouldn't have been worth it even at $500. Ended up selling it to a guy for $900 so he could part it out. I think he actually came out ahead on that deal :shocked: but I didn't have the space or the time to part it out myself. I still miss it at times...I may have to find me another Scout someday :sly

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Find a good electric shop around you and just have them rebuild the starter and give it more cranking power. It's easier and better than buying a new one. Looks like a good truck overall though!! Definitely less rust than I'm used to. If I can make a suggestion, get an N/A intake for yours though and build your own intake and filter for it. They have bigger ports and let the engine breath better than the turbo ones do. And those stock filter housings suck at letting good air flow into the engine.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and convert it to a GM hydro boost system and GM alternator. You can get rid of the super expensive and hard to fix stock alternator then and won't have to worry about your power brakes. Mine NEVER could keep up with the brake booster when I still had it vacuum.