A dumb question....

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 2005 psd 6.0L, and got a bigger alternator. Hes wondering where the tensioner is and what kind of tool do you use to losen it off. is it just a half inch ratchet or what? thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The tensioner is almost straight below the alt..... When I changed the alt, I removed the small shroud on the fan shround infront of the alt, removed the wires, and removed the 3 bolts that hold it to the bracket. I heald tension on the alt, and eased off the pressure, and slipped the alt out. I put the new one under the belt and eased it back on. Put the 3 bolts back in and connected the wires. It is about a 15-20 minute job doing it that way. If the belt comes off the other pulleys it can be 30 - 60 minuted to refish the belt. If is difficult to ge to anyting on the front of the engine because of the fan shroud. To do any service on the front of the engine you have to cut the fan shroud in to (there are pre marked places) to get it out. I have a water pump that needs changed in the near future and we are budgeting an entire weekend just to make sure we have enough time to take everything off and put it back on.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online