A couple front end questions I need answered...(D50 TTB)

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting thursday evening I'm going to be tearing into my front end to do ball joints, u joints, and whatever else I find along the way on my truck.

I had a couple things I wanted to get answers on BEFORE I started.

1. I'm planning to pick up a ball joint press and probably a tie rod puller. Do I need anything else? Do I need to get one of those Ford hub sockets I've seen at the parts store?
2. How much and what weight oil does the front diff need?
3. What thread size are the bolts holding the diff to the housing?

That's all I can think of for now...might have more later.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes, you will need a hub socket, since you've got the manual hubs, you'll need the one with the 4 prongs. They should be able to give you a capacity reading on the front end but I'm pretty sure it's no more than 2 or 3 quarts of 80/90W gear oil. if you have an LS, you'll also need the friction modifier to put back in there. I don't know about the bolts.....but here's a pic of the hub-socket you should be looking for:http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00...op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, I'll have to look for that hub socket then...question though, the one you posted says it's for half ton front ends, wonder if it's still the same.

romulus

Reaction score
there will be 2 sizes of 4 prong spindle nut sockets at the parts store. you'll need the larger one of the two. i can measure mine tonight and let you know the size.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its the socket on the left. Its a little shorter but its bigger diameter. It also looks oilier so its probably the last one I used, its been awhile since I had a dana 44 apart.

Attachments

• IMG00293-20110323-1113.jpg
    IMG00293-20110323-1113.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 16

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't need a fork for the tie rods. Just get a big hammer and hit the knuckle next to the rod with a few good smacks an they should fall right out.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't need a fork for the tie rods. Just get a big hammer and hit the knuckle next to the rod with a few good smacks an they should fall right out.

Thats what I have always done, I have had some pretty stubborn ones though even using a fork. Some guys on here have had stuff pretty rusty though and its a lot harder to get stuff apart.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put new tie rods on the truck back when I was first working on it (Spring of '08), they aren't that rusty but I'd rather have the puller if I need it...y'know?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Being your truck is a 94, you "should" have a D50 which uses the 6 prong socket. The one 94turboidi showed on the left

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped at advance auto parts and picked up the hub socket for $15...so at least I got that taken care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online