a/c Help R-12 replacement?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
R152a is compatible with both PAG and Ester oil.

If your system still has a fair amount of R12 in it you could top it off with R152a. They mix together well and when mixed will work with mineral oil. The r12 will carry the oil.

R152a is not miscible in mineral oil though. So if you have an empty R12 system you should change the receiver drier and oil in the compressor if you plan on charging with R152a. Just like you would if you were switching to r134a.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mixing refrigerants is not a good idea.it makes the pressures funky.100% of one type is the best for proper cooling plus it makes the whole mixture non recoverable.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a disaster soon after buying my truck. A previous shop had thrown R134a into it w/o doing anything else. The Accumulator has a dessicant in a bag and R134a eats the bag. So I had dessicant everywhere!

I flushed and flushed the condenser,evap and lines. Put on a new compressor. I used one thats based on a Sanden instead of a stupid FS6.New Accumulator and an Orange Orifice tube.Added 10 oz of Pag46 oil and 2.80 lbs of r134a.

The Orange tube gave me the best pressures and temps. I believe it has a .057 Orifice in it.

Where or what does the orange tube come in, how do get on because the parts store only have parts listings for what comes in it OEM or retro.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dunno. some chryslers i think.i just call up napa or whoever and tell them to bring out a certain color tube.