a/c Help R-12 replacement?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already posted... Using Freeze 12 will ruin your system for any shop to work on it ever again. Heres the deal with freeze12. Its a mix of different gas and no shop can evacuate your system because it will contaminate their recovery tanks. You want to see a shop get angry and throw you to the curb go ahead and do the freeze12. Not believing me. Ok.. I'm not the person you need to listen too but please.. Go ask an ac shop about mixing freons like I think your asking about. For many here in the know.. Its 134 or R12. Really no other choice at this time. There is some new stuff about to break out on the scene but not going to talk about that now. It will just add more fat to the fire.

Truth ^^^ No shop will touch a system with a mix in it. Also stay away from anything with leak sealer in it... Automotive is R12 and 134a.

I work with 404A which is a commercial blend (Blend being different than "Autozone mixes")... But, I work on refers.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of the blends that became available in the 90's used flamable gasses such as propane and butane. Propane is used as a refrigerant in some applications but they do not use o-ring and gaskets for seals. They are sealed systems that wont ever leak under normal circumstances.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another semi useless tdi bit of info: the larger the R number is the more environmentally friendly it is.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
But who really cares if the shop likes it or not? I know in my case my truck will never be in any shop for any reason so their whiny-girly likes and dislikes mean naught to me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its best not to mix freons because of the long term issues with any shop trying to remove it. You may say so what if they don't like it but being responsible is what many here want to be. My rig wont see a shop either because I do my own work . but some day someone else will own my rig. Leaving that person a problem is not what I will do. Mother earth likes a safe environment too. We don't want to upset Mother Nature. She can get real ugly if you know what I mean..

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freon 12 only makes baby seals be born naked in America... if you go across the border into Mexico you can buy it across the counter by the gallon if you want.

Arizona Refrigeration will sell me as much R-12 as I want, as long as I show my required license. It is, in my opinion the better coolant gas for air conditioning. I have worked a bunch of 134 systems that have been converted from R-12 and the temp drop is never as good. Arizona is the mother lode of air conditioning. If you want a job for life, start an AC car repair shop here. Something about 120 +° days that makes people want their cars air conditioning to really work hard [which wears them out faster].

Freeze 12 and the other replacement gases that were forced into the market with EPA regulation contaminate R-12 holding tanks so shops refuse to vacuum systems with those gases. R-12 recycled is worth as much a new R-12 and at this point it's like gold, so they don't risk contamination. Also, once the tank has R-12 and "some other gas" in it, it becomes a HAZMAT disposal issue to an EPA approved disposal site which means that tank now costs $300 new, and something like $1,200 to dispose of [or more if it's in CA, where R-12 causes cancer and all babies to be born naked].

Add a can of leak check dye, run your system and see if the dye shows any connections or leaks under black light.. if not.. jam it with more R-12 and drive on.. unless you live in CA. then drive to AZ, get it charged and drive on.

Something I learned at Arizona Refrig some time ago is the old style hose used will allow coolant to pass through the walls over time and is the cause of most coolant loss. The fix is to use new style hoses [they will make them up on site] that does not do that. System should stay charged. If you have the system open anyway, it's a good time to replace the old hoses with new kind. They've also stocked all the other replacement parts for IDI Fords consistently.

uncle

Reaction score
Great information guys. I scored a couple extra cans of R-12 so I'm charged and cooling.
Thanks again for the information needed to make an educated decision.
Brian

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont be afraid of r134a in our trucks. our condensers are adequate to condense r134a. i live in the desert and i often travel to az. ive seen 115 out side and 40 out my vents. the trick is the flush the r12 oil out of everything,new dryer,pag oil and use an orange orifice tube instead of the blue or red one. the orange is .057 which works better with r 134a. the reason that many people dont like r 134a is that it overloads the condenser as r134a is better at removing heat from the cabin than r12 is.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I was curious, do you use the same pressures as 134A?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I am using hydrocarbon refrigerant now too. Runs as much lower pressure, takes less to fill, and runs a bit colder.

As for it being dangerous, too bad, R134A is flammable too. Also, about 2BCF of natural gas is vented to the atmosphere per day in the US, I don't feel bad about venting a little bit if I need to in my system. Doesn't destroy the ozone.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about venting it to the "ozone."
For me it would come done to vehicular safety. Lol
But, as before, if it's that bad of a wreck, a flammable gas in the A/C is probably the last thing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a service bulletin when I was working MRAPS in 2011 that some r134 out of Britain was coming out of trucks and was flaming up once it was hitting air, witch made any a/c work on any of the MRAPS rolling through the shop from who knows where awesome.

I think I may charge my r12 system with propane, you guys running propane, are you switching over the fitting to anything or just pushing through the R12 ones?