A Blower Motor Question

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
All,

I have a blower motor question for the collective.

I have a 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon (I figure all the Ford blower systems are about the same in all their vehicles)

Up until this morning, the blower for the HVAC has been working fine on all settings and speeds. The fan would blow on low, medium low, medium high and high, and on all Heat, Vent and AC Functions. This morning, there was a heavy layer of frost on the car, so I started the car, and came back in the house. Ten minutes later, I went back out and the windows were still iced over. I checked the controls, and the fan was set to high, the selector was on defrost and the heat range was to full hot, but there was no air coming from the vents, and there was no blower noise. I changed the function and speed and the blower never ran.

After arriving home from work tonight, I changed the blower fuse in the cabin fuse panel, and check the one in the under hood distribution box and both fuses were good. I ran out of daylight and stopped for the night.

I am trying to get an idea, I and going to pick up a new 10 amp, mini for the cabin, and a 40 maxi for the under hood box to make sure they are good.

What would make it quit with no warning, there have been no noises, it has been blowing strong. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip and it was working fine. Could it be the resistor, or what...... needing some guidance, because as of right now, with the weather the car is not drivable, and the truck needs a water pump, so it is limited on driving it.

Thanks,

Scott

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a 98 ******...No air on any fan speed after freezing weather.

The culprit:

Can't find the picture, but the fan motor was completely encased in ice. The plastic cover held it in and it froze...

The short caused by the ice blew the diode in the blower resistor pack. Replaced it and not problems since...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The taurus/sable blower motor is a known dud. The aftermarket came to the rescue with a redesigned unit for better durability.

go to the 4 seasons website. www.4s.com and look up your car in the catalog for blower motors. Obviously check that there is 12v at the blower motor, if you ground the other side (which bypasses the resistor and controls) and it runs, its not the blower motor. If it doesn't... Well you know you need a motor :D

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually found the culprit of the problem. The relay in the under-hood power distribution box died. It looks like it shorted internally and stuck open. Swapped it temporally with another relay (the fuel pump relay I think) and the blower came on. Took a trip to the zone and $15 later I had a fan again.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online