'99 with parking light probs

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
I usually hang out one forum below and just sneak up here when I get roped into helping a friend...friend's '99 crew cab dually, 4x2, powerstroke to get more specific.

Do the newer Fords (with the dial type headlight knob) have the same issues as the OBS & OOBS (is that and IDI maybe?) with the headlights? Namely: running all power through the switch? Her truck has taken to keeping the parking lights on at random times with the switch off. She's taking both negative cables off the batts at the moment so she can start it later.

I did the relay mod on my '93 when my lights starting turning on/off/on/off while driving at night. Replaced the light switch & the socket, did 3 relays while I was in there (parking/lows/highs) and I've had zero probs since.

What do you guys think? Just replace the dial/knob switch in the dash (how bad is that?), replace the switch & do a relay mod?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
cookoo not being all that familiar with the Stooper Doopys, I would hazard a guess that it may be suffering from the same thing as the OBS.....remove the switch and see if the plug has any indications of arcing/melted areas........and trace the trailer/ brake wiring back to the hitch to see if there is any indications of chaffing/poorly done connections at the factory pigtail where the trailer wiring is spliced/plugged in.

Does it have cruise and does it work?....if not then it's quite possibley a common fault......

hope this helps :cheers:

oregon-mike

Reaction score
OK, update on this guy. She finally brought the truck over yesterday. I removed the light switch by popping the dash off, unplugging the 2 harnesses, pushing the whole rectangular switch out using the lock tab on the side nearest the driver's door. With the light switch completely out of the dash the park lights were still staying on cookoo cookoo

So, we've got some wiring problems somewhere in there. No idea where. She's had a blinker out for a long time, one side of her dually fender lights were out. Tackled those next in hopes that one of those bulbs was the culprit.

I found a post on here, from TonkaDoc I think, about removing the front turn signal/marker light and tried to use that. Tonka's was a 2000 SD, hers is a 99. The 2 phillips screws mentioned are under the marker/blinker lens on her truck. Pulled those 2 screws, popped out the lens. Swapped out the blinker bulb & the marker bulb while I had it out.

Replaced the 2 bulbs on the fender. Lights still stay on with the switch off -cuss

I gave up at that point, took the fuse out of the engine compartment, wired in an inline fuse, through a switch in the dash, back to the fuse compartment. It's up & running, she doesn't have to pop her hood to disconnect, and so long as she remembers to turn the switch on & off, she won't have dead batteries any more. We'll tear into it some other day to try to actually fix it.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle