96 CTD Injector problem

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Think we may have found the problem, but first a question.

Is the thing on top of the IP (6 of them) that feed each individual injector line call a delivery valve?

The #5 delivery valve is broken at the o-ring. It came out in two pieces. Gonna attempt to fix by welding and machining. Luckily, it broke in the o-ring seat.

On edit:

I see that the delivery valve is the part on top of the IP that requires the "special" socket. The part that is broken is what the delivery valve screws into. It is actually the base of the valve that is held down by the two nuts. See pic below. The part that is circled is the part that is broken.

Any body have an idea of where I might get one? If one of you guys has a spare laying round, I'd gladly pay you for it. I'm just not sure if we're gonna be able to find one at DIS or Piers without spending and arm and both legs.

Attachments

• 3d-P7100-rev.jpg
    3d-P7100-rev.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
You mean PDR where Piers no longer works?
Or did you mean Piers himself at his new shop?

I dunno, you tell me. Remember, be gentle, I'm a former IH'er that barely knows his way to the light switch in an old goat.

I think we have found that the IP has $h!t the bed, and it's entirely possible that the f'n around that I did may have contributed. I think we did get the valve body base welded back together and leak free, but apparnetly from the original break of the delivery valve's base, there were some small pieces of steel, one of which we found, that worked it's way down into the body of the pump. The throttle, when we can get it to fire, is almost non responsive. We have plenty of fuel at the filter, which is brand new, fuel to the inlet pipe of the IP, but barely any fuel trickles out of the injector lines. We've bled and bled for about 5 hours, only to get it to barely fire and start. There is NO black smoke coming out of the pipe as there was when the truck ran right, and no white smoke of un-burnt fuel either. The throttle lever sticks just as you try to throttle up, and sometimes works and most the time doesn't. I pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid off, thinking that maybe it was not working properly, but actuating the lever by hand made no difference.

So, I guess what I'm asking now is what would you guys recommend for this truck in the way of both "cost effective" and performance for an IP? I understand that these pumps can be modded easily to throw some good fuel, so I guess what I am asking is should I go with a PDR, Piers or DIS rebuilt unit? Or do you think that I can get away with a functioning junkyard unit and take my chances with mods on it? Please bear in mind that I know very little of nothing about these motors and mods, but am never against learning about them. So let it rip.

Thanks, by the way, for yall's help on this.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If it were me I would pick up a junkyard part and go from there because the pumps just don't die that often - at least I haven't heard of it - actually you are the first that I have heard anyone complain....