94 K3500 6.2 conversion thoughts

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So my neighbor decided to buy another truck and he knows I've got a 6.2 sitting in my shop and asked me the other day if the 6.2 would bolt up to the trans and we could ditch the 350 that's in there with 327k on it.

Any thoughts or idears?

He plans on abusing the truck just like his turboed 99 6.5 K2500 hauling oversized loads on a daily basis.( My opinion)cookoo

Sad thing is this truck is in decent shape for a rust belt truck and runs strong but he's exploring options if the 350 goes tango uniform.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If the 6.2 is good, strap a turbo to it and have at it. If he's going to pull heavy, maybe some deeper gears in the rearend, add dual thermostats and make sure she doesn't run hot. Grab a set of marine injectors (I bought a set for my 6.2 that I never used, van application), turn the pump up.
The motor will bolt in completely, the small block and the 6.2 share the same bellhousing pattern and motor mounts, even though I would try to get some HD mounts.
I'd find the manifolds and piping for a 6.5 turbo, add a HX35 turbo (easy swap) and just go for it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Thanks guys,;Sweet

Well for the time being. I've got him convinced to keep the strong runnin 350 in there since I got is fixed up for him last night to put into service today.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of replacing my 350 in my '89 GMC 4x4 if it ever goes TU. The only thing is that since I've entertained those notions, my 350 has been extra sweet to me. Damn trucks know more than we like to give them credit for.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '96 has the 350 Vortec in it, and other than being a DAWG, it's been relatively trouble free. When i first got it, it had a terrible miss that plugs, wires, cap and rotor didn't fix. So then it was on to the fuel system. spent $800 Rebuilding the CSFI, only to find out that a box of butt connectors would've fixed it. The main wiring harness runs overtop of the EGR tube held up by a nonexistent bracket, insulated by nonexistent heat wrap. Melted 3 of the 8 wires that fire the injectors. Got that fixed in October of '08, and have put 10,000 miles on it since then.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
My 96 has the 350 Vortec and my dad bought it new and it was properly spec'd when he ordered it and it does a fine job. Just recently grossed a little over 20k lbs one way on a
3380mi round trip. Avg'd 9mpg at 5mph above the posted speed limit, just wound a little tight going up hill. I hate to hear yours is a "DAWG", dad rescued every diesel pickup I ever owned with this truck when he was still living. In this photo, with the load I mentioned above, it is yet again rescuing a diesel pickup. The 6.5T on the rear had a rod through the pan at the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Can't argue too much about a good running small block. May not mpg that well, but as they say, if it ain't broke..............
Nice load Captain; every now and then I'll give a gasser it's due.;Sweet

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Mine runs just fine, but it feels underpowered. It might have a little to do with the fact that it's in a Dually. I'm pretty sure the CMP isn't right because th engine and transmission were replaced 60,000 miles ago, and that was 50K before I got it. I'm pretty sure it was a shadetree job too.