94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I hope this isn't a huge problem but I found a crack in the bell housing. I found a guy that says he should be able to weld it for me but he still hasn't seen it in person yet. I'm optimistic that he can repair it he quoted me $150.
Any idea what I should ask for my old e4od when I sell it??

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, I don't know. Is it cracked all the way around??? Whoever is welding it really better know what they are doing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found out it's cast aluminum. the cleaner the area is, the better your odds of getting a good job done. good prep is critical here.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found out it's cast aluminum. the cleaner the area is, the better your odds of getting a good job done. good prep is critical here.
I'm taking it to a professional welder tomorrow. I'm sure he will know what to do. I'll try to prep it clean for him too. He's busy so I have him a month to fix it. But don't worry I'll still be making progress as the tranny in it does function enough to move the truck around.

So for now next project is getting rest of the swap parts tomorrow like cross member. Then I'll pick up a water pump and thermostat and heater core and get that all done.

I called international harvester in west Sacramento and asked about all the sca and cavitation stuff I've read about and he said that these motors don't require an sca...

What do you guys run for coolant?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run the cheap green stuff. go to ford the the SCA. you need it.
btw....did you already get a chassis harness for the 87 wiring?

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run the cheap green stuff. go to ford the the SCA. you need it.
btw....did you already get a chassis harness for the 87 wiring?

I have both harnesses, most of the stuff plugs in no problem. And 99% of any splicing has been done.

The only gauge in the dash not working is oil pressure but I'm not sure if it's the gauge or it's not hooked up. Then there's the speedo that I believe runs off the rear end with the e40d but it's on a cable on my parts truck so I guess I'll figure that out later.. ??

Only plug I don't have is for the tps but I think that's part of the auto trans harness I'm missing that along with the trans computer. But I shouldn't need it once I switch to manual.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brick nose speedo is still probably cable driven even with e4 trans I think but don't hold me to that. Check for a spot on the tail housing of the tcase for a cable to insert. May not be there on a 94 running gear.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From what I could tell, the gear isn't there. I don't know if you can add it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the welding on the bell housing when you get it back. Done a few of those meself. Grind out the crack, wire brush to clean, TIG weld. Might consider drilling a hole at each end of the crack to keep it from cracking farther.

I wouldn't be afraid of it if it's done right.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would drill stop it.
Definitely wouldn't be afraid of welding it.
Personally I would pull the case apart so I didn't melt any seals. But that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I tried to contact you via your website contact and the email failed

Look me up through Facebook messenger. Terrapin MFG.

I'll get back to you right away. unfortunately my email has been taken over by spam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online