94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need a relay and hot lead. Do NOT forget to ground it out, or you will over heat the wires and lose connection. Ground it at the pump and off the hor lead, also use a inline fuse. I have the same set up and it works great. The mechanical pump was a fail for the diesels. Oh and make sure you connect it to a switch wire so that it turns off with the ignition.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks. I found a thread that lays it all out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post that thread for me? Something on there might help me

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little more progress today. Tranny is ground and drilled and Ben the welder plans to finish this weekend.
Also installed waterpump and thermostat.
You must be registered for see images attach

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the electric fuel pump. in fact it can help you bleed air from the return lines without the engine running. that's a pretty common upgrade.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the electric fuel pump. in fact it can help you bleed air from the return lines without the engine running. that's a pretty common upgrade.

Thanks. I just installed the block off plate. Just waiting on some brass fittings and my relay to get here from Amazon to complete the job!

Later today I hope to install the rest of the brackets and alternator.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. Been too lazy to bolt up the brackets and alternator and still waiting on the fittings for the fuel pump. But I got the tranny back all welded up!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the saga to figure out this trucks history and the variances between what I'm told is a 94 chassis with an 87 cab, I'm discovering surprises such as v belts on the motor when a 94 to my knowledge should have had serpentine and an ats turbo kit when it should have a stick turbo.....

I found the frame vin. But it's not complete but I read vins on the frame never are?... It's rusty but after some cleaning it appears to be. NCA28245 but the last digit could be (g) or (6) also. Very hard to tell. I wire brushed and degreased but still hard to tell for sure.

Is there a code or vin on the motor somewhere?

I can't find a partial vin decoder so I'm stumped.

Anyone??

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
easiest way to tell is look at the front frame rails. older trucks will have a solid frame rail...92+ have a crumple zone right behind the bumper

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easiest way to tell is look at the front frame rails. older trucks will have a solid frame rail...92+ have a crumple zone right behind the bumper

That's behind the bumper. Looks like something was chopped off to get the current bumper to fit. What do you think?

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, although the bumper looks hacked I don't think its a '94 like I was told. Based on the motor and the partial frame Vin I found (NCA28245) I think its a '92.
Thanks to the LMC truck catalog having a vin decoder I believe this is the last 8 digits of the frame. So that makes a lot more sense... Also the "92 would have a non serpentine motor but the later wiring harness I found in the parts pile in the bed.

I took the radiator in to be rebuilt and its toast so I'm buying a new one for $481 and not super stoked on that but I want a decent radiator not a cheapo. The old radiator was clogged with black junk, so I'm going to plan on pulling my new thermostat and flushing the block with a hose to try to get any sediment out of the block before reinstall the T-stat and I install my new radiator and heater core and fill the truck with a good long life heavy duty fleet rite coolant. Hopefully this will spare the new parts from becoming clogged up as well.

Then after I finally install my new alternator and finish installing my electric fuel pump I can run it and top off the radiator

Wish me luck this weekend!

After this its on to the ZF5 swap! So I have some threads to read!

Thanks guys for all your help so far!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While waiting on my new radiator I've installed the new heater core. I also decided I'd pop off the air cleaner and get better access to the fuel return lines and injectors. While I was getting down to it I noticed some of the seals on the turbo set up may be leaking.... Anyone know where to get seals for the inlet pipe and the connection to the manifold?? I can't seem to find originals from the ATS kit but maybe I can just find new O-rings somewhere that will fit. Also wondering if I should just ditch the crazy air filter set up and install tubing from the turbo to a round air filter instead...

Anyway I think the front driver side injector is leaking so I should be able to fix that with the line kit.
Since this thing has been sitting a long time possibly I should get new injectors while I'm at it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Russ (@typ4) is the goto for ATS Parts. He bought everything ATS had when they ceased supporting the IDI Turbos. He has stuff for the ATS Turbos that NO ONE else has......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online