94 idi turbo engine replacement

Dieseltrav

Reaction score
I am approaching replacing my engine due to burn rings and a strange knock. I bought a used engine up to valve covers and i have a solid flywheel and clutch to be installed. All accessories will be swapped, injection system, turbo, pulleys etc. I want to replace oil pan seal rear main seal water pump and freeze plugs but am looking for suggestions on things I may want to consider while it's out. Any help with part numbers on listed items is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Travis​

gfemling

Reaction score
Have heard that best not to mess with freeze plugs if not necessary- takes special tool and technique; don’t fix if not broken.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Can the rear main seal be done on its own? (providing the pan and pan seal is still good)

Reason I say is because once you have the pan off... might be wise to also assess the oil pump, and maybe pull a cap and inspect/plastigage a bearing (i.e. the thrust one).

If you are swapping or changing the oil cooler, be sure you're not also transferring a problem (or debris) from a damaged engine to a good one.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the rear main seal be done on its own? (providing the pan and pan seal is still good)
Yes; you can even do it in the vehicle with the trans removed. There's a rear plate that unbolts; at the bottom it seals to the oil pan. But you can just re-silicone it without removing the oil pan.