94 7.3 idi stock turbo shut off randomly

Chance7.3

Reaction score
Hi everyone Im new to the forum, what I recently purchased is a 1994 Ford F-250 with the stock 7.3 idi turbo. I was cruising around tonight and the truck randomly shut off. The front tank had 3/4s of a tank and the rear was bone dry. However the fuel switch was on the front tank and that's what it appeared to be pulling fuel from. I did not run the rear tank to empty I never do but the gauge read empty. I got the truck fired back up after it did this twice and appears to be running fine now. The truck has 173,000 miles-Not even broken in yet;Sweet

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the best experienced forum for these old idi's. Straight to the point I've have the same problems with my truck with the selector valve sticking and feeding from one tank and returning to the other. Easiest and quickest way ive found to determine that problem is to just have both tanks at 1/2 full. Then youll see if your gauges change quickly or not given if theyre properly working. Youll notice it fairly soon as your truck is filling one tank to the other :eek: If all of that is kosher it may be the shut off solenoid. I myself do not know how to ohm test or any other kind of test for these boogers other than replace them. I'm sure others may chime in here for more suggestions. ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the truck act like it ran out of fuel....... surging, accelerating, followed by sputtering and stopping? Or........... did it just turn off suddenly like the key was turned off?

Running out of fuel could be several things.... Broken fuel pickup on the sender, malfunctioning fuel tank selector valve, failing fuel pump..... the list goes on and on.

Suddenly stopping like the key turned off...... likely an issue with the fuel shut off solenoid on the IP or the power supply to it.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Just as a test run a jumper wire from a battery positive directly to the wire connecter on the front of the injection pump. Thats found on top of the pump nearest the radiater. Its the larger connection of the two found on top of the pump. Now start and run around town. See if the engine will continue to run fine. If its running and not dieing out on you then you have found a reason for the engine dieing. Now it can be the ignition switch or something in the wireing. But usually its the ignition switch. With this jumper wire on the pump you will not be able to shut down the engine by the ignition switch. You will have to remove the jumper wire but thats not a big thing to do. Hope this hepls you figure out whats going on. Running a fuel tank lower than 1/4 tank is never a good thing. Most of the shower head fuel tank suction heads are broken off so the last 1/4 tank is never able to be sucked up. Thats a simple repair but lets not discuss that just yet. Fix whats wrong so you have a truck to drive. Later on we can fix the tanks.