93 IDI Injection Pump Leaking

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently had a re-manufactured ZF-5 transmission, new clutch and fly wheel installed. Boy did she run great! For about 2 months. About two weeks ago I noticed that she was running a little rough after I got home from work. I didn't think anything of it and just threw in some Diesel Kleen in the morning on the way to work at the gas station (still was rough). As I continued on the 17 mile trip (mostly highway) the truck started to run more and more rough. When I pulled into work it was shaking so bad (engine knock) that you could sit in the truck, pull out your smart phone to check a text or whatever and you can't read anything it is shaking that bad.

This was two weeks ago and she has been sitting since. I took off the air filter to see if I had any leaks because I noticed a slow drip of fuel underneath the engine block. Turns out that the IP is leaking where the 8 fuel lines connect. Only 1 is leaking (decent pace drip) we took off the lines to see if any were cracked and nothing. Also, the tuna can looking oil valve thing is in need of replacement as well.

I noticed that there was a sticker on the IP(maintenance out in Dubuque Iowa) Last time the IP was serviced was 2005. Truck has 160,000 miles on her. Everything else is fine.

I'm assuming I need an IP rebuild? Should I order new lines? I'm located on the southside of chicago near midway. Any reputable shops around here that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's in fact leaking at the injector lines, then it has to be a cracked line, it's very hard to see a cracked line.
Do the injector lines have the clamps on them?
Only other place it could be is the O'ring on the fitting for the fuel supply to the IP from the filter.

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
If it's in fact leaking at the injector lines, then it has to be a cracked line, it's very hard to see a cracked line.
Do the injector lines have the clamps on them?
Only other place it could be is the O'ring on the fitting for the fuel supply to the IP from the filter.

Injector lines do have the clamps on them to prevent vibration. Is there anyway to replace that O-ring? if so, what would be the size? Thank you kind sir!

gandalf

Reaction score
Injector lines do have the clamps on them to prevent vibration. Is there anyway to replace that O-ring? if so, what would be the size? Thank you kind sir!

Of course you can replace it. Start by pulling the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP. I think you'll probably find a large rubber seal at either end, known as an olive. See the picture below. I believe that the O-ring in the other picture is just inside the IP. Replace the O-ring and all olives. You can get them at any competent injection shop.

You said that the IP has 160,*** miles on it? Start saving your lunch money. I can see a new IP in your future. Post here before you buy a new IP. There are many places to buy a new IP, but only a very few are recommended. It's so very easy to buy a POS rebuilt IP.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
Amazing, thank you! I our moulder mechanic just discovered a crack in the line. Should I replace all 8 or just one?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would say just the one. Strange that it would crack if it has the clamps. Are you sure all four clamps are there?

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
Would say just the one. Strange that it would crack if it has the clamps. Are you sure all four clamps are there?

Ok, three were connected. When looking at the top of the engine. The two on the left that are close together were on and the top one on the right side but the bottom right was not connected. Hence that line being cracked. Having trouble finding these lines. I figure that I might as well pick up a new set with mounts

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the for sale listings on this site. I think there are members around with lines for sale etc

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check ebay for a set of new or used lines. Should you decide to replace only the broken line please make sure ALL the line vibration clamps are installed. Now to recognise the line numbers please look at the top of the intake manifold where it connects to the heads. On this intake port runner is a cast in line or cylinder number. You may have some road dirt to remove to see it. Or know that all the lines on the drivers side from the radiator back are even. Starts with 2 4 6 8. And on the passenger side from the radiator back its 1 3 5 7

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
I was able to find the replacement line at midwest diesel. I threw the line back on and tightened the nuts not super hard but snug. Fired her up and she smoothed out quickly. Any other things I should do and or look for prior to driving home? I put the block heater on even though its in our shop.