89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't posted much, but I have been working on it. The wiring is mostly completed in the front. I need to finish wiring up the headlight kit from RJM injection. But I put the steering column in and low and behold the engine would turn over with the key! And the Fuel shutoff is working also. This was a big day considering how much of the wiring I've played with. I didn't think I'd have problems, but you never know. Next is I want to get the dash installed and some of the indicator lights and see what happens when I start it. I still don't have the belts or cooling system installed so I won't be running long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all looks really good, keep posting even if you think your not doing much.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Wish I was half that far along. I notice you have a 3G alternator on there with v belt pulley. Might I ask where you picked that up and what it's for? I've been eyeing one from an f700 that sure looks like that. It's v pulley and looks like the mounting locations are for the v belt set up not the serp setup. The f700 's I think mostly had the 429's (7.0l I think).

As for the column, personally I like the stock wheel better but it would certainly be different. Maybe paint the column and go for a nice custom piece? A dark wood might look good with your other color choices.

Cool build. Gives me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words!! They are much appreciated.

The 3G alternator I bought was from DB electric. It was from like a 95 Ford Taurus and was $95.00. I have a starter from them also. Never had any issues with their products. The alternator was serpentine, but I swapped the pulley. I bought a 3G wiring install kit from RJM injection also and they had a 2 groove pulley dirt cheap so I picked it up also. Although the pulley from the factory alternator does work. May need a shim to keep the pulley off the alternator case. RJM injection appears to be shutdown?

Yeah I installed the dirty column for now. I will strip the housing off of it with it installed and clean up / paint all the parts that way. I also need to clean up and grease the insides. Still not sure on the steering wheel I had thought about a foxbody mustang wheel also. There is one that I like, but I think the splines are wrong. I would prefer to not loose my cruise buttons on the wheel. Truthfully I like the wheel in the brick nose cab just fine. I'm just always looking for something that may be a little different. I'm thinking I may go with a painted factory wheel and put a leather wrap on it that will match the seats. We'll see.

My next task is to get it running and moving. So I need a coolant system, brakes bled, clutch tested, And at least the tranny shifter installed. And a 5 gallon bucket to sit on.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next task is to get it running and moving. So I need a coolant system, brakes bled, clutch tested, And at least the tranny shifter installed. And a 5 gallon bucket to sit on.

i wouldn't be able to wait either

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice pics and the work looks great also. Whats the tag on the injection pump gear housing.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tag on the injection pump housing is from Dealers Diesel. It is their rebuild tag. My engine was a drop in rebuild around 1999. It's got probably 70k on it so far.

yeah I'm getting really excited to see it move. Been a long time. Yesterday I was in the house cleaning up the gage cluster. combined two clusters to make a better one. Also cleaned all the gage faces with cleaner and the plastic cover. While it's out is the time to touch it up. After it moves it's time to get the cab sealed up. Windows, weather stripping, etc.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night wasn't ultra productive. I started building a bracket to hold the zerostart 1500 watt coolant heater. I don't have a freeze plug style block heater on my engine. I use this style heater instead. I'll post pics when I'm working on it next.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right had a pretty decent weekend. Got the heater hoses installed. I had to get more hose clamps. I have a Y-valve for my coolant tank heater and a ford explorer coolant valve that I installed. Made for a lot of connections. There's over a dozen connections. I always put in a ford explorer style heater valve so when you do max a/c you loose flow through the heater core.

Got the bracket for my coolant heater finished up and painted. Looks like it's going to ride pretty well along side the frame rails.

I also lengthened the wires for my RJM headlight kit. The power and ground wires where short. Every connection in this pickup gets soldered and heat shrinked. Takes some time, but should yield good results.

Fixed a bad ground on the glow plug controller. When I hit the key the glow plug light wasn't working. It is now though! I also have a working tach. Considering I removed all the wiring to the E4OD computer I was pleased that my rewire job is working so far. I would have fired it up, but I didn't have any oil to my turbo. Do you need to prime the turbo? The ATS manual said to just start the engine and let it idle before revving it.

Sorry for the one picture turning? It's correct on my computer, but switch when here? Idk what's up.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm running stuck on my cruise vacuum line routing. Does anyone here have a diagram or know how they route. Specifically to the cruise control servo. On an 89.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went through my pics and unfortuneately I don't have one that shows everything. If memory serves though isn't it just a vacuum booster a lot like the brake booster? If that is the case, it shouldn't make much difference how the lines are hooked up should it? I think from what pics I have it looks like a line in and out of the vacuum can (which doesn't make much sense to me) and one of them goes to the controller. That's probably no help at all. I'll look for a pic.

On edit: If you go to google and search "91 ford cruise control vacuum"; switch to images and scroll down a little bit there is a diagram that for some reason I can't get. It links to fullsizebronco.com I believe. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's it thanks! I couldn't figure out what went where. Next time I need to take better pictures / mark things better.