89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I should have taken more pictures. Luckily my Google Fu is pretty strong. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the it started last night using the KEY!!;Sweet:D I was super excited. This is the first time in years that engine has ran with a key. Now I'm getting ready to see it move. Brakes and shifting here we come. Oh and I still need a radiator since the one I ordered for the CC ended up in the 93 plow truck.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been hitting the truck pretty hard as of late. Not a lot of picture worthy stuff, but tons of misc. odds and ends getting finished up.

Heater hoses & coolant valve done
Coolant tank heater installed
Auxiliary fuse box installed
US gear wiring done & works!!
Head light sockets rewired for 9007 bulbs
turn signal lights rewired to 92-97 harnesses
Belts installed on engine
Pyrometer, Water temp & boost plumbing routed to cab
Temp sensor for Jeep cherokee oeverhead console installed
Throttle cable and Cruise cables are now installed

Transfercase shift lever figured out & tested - needs new bushings and painted. This was big since I've got a t-19 with a NP205 transfer case and a US gear overdrive. So I've got 3 things together that never were before. I used the 89 shift lever with a modified US gear shift arm. Bascially two pieces of flat iron with all thread between them to adjust the length. It's a little loose now, but with some new bushings it should be just fine.

I need to bleed the brakes, install the new clutch line and radiator then I should be able to take it for a victory lap around the yard. The engine compartment is about done.

This is the extra fuse panel I installed. It's not as water proof as I would like but should be fine. I put dielectric grease in all the connections.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the passenger side wiring. It looks neater in person. I've tried to not make it a total rats nest.

Looking at probably doing a set of aluminum shift nobs from bronco graveyard. I'll paint them though.

This is the coolant tank heater. It's mounted to the passenger side frame rail in front of the crossmember. One hose goes to the block and one goes to the heater hose going to the water pump. Pictures rotated 90 degrees not sure why.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think you are seeing the heater hose bracket.

Looks good junk. Keeps giving me hope I'll get there eventually.

I've been thinking about an overhead console in my truck but I may do a shelf instead and hang the gauges underneath. Lots of goodies I would like to add on but as you are well aware, there isn't much of a place to put anything. I really like the add on rear view mirror with compass/temp. too. I can see needing an auxillary relay/fuse box myself.

You said you changed your headlight bulb holders. Are those bulbs a direct replacement into the standard lenses? I assume you picked them because they are brighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the heater hose bracket. In this picture the belts weren't on yet.

I put an overhead console from a 95 or so Jeep grand cherokee in my truck. It added a temp read out. It also has spot lights for the front seat and back seat. There's also a couple storage cubbies there.

The 87-91 trucks use like a 9004 bulb versus the 92-97 trucks use a 9007 bulb. The wiring to the bulbs is different. I also did a Headlight relay kit so I just needed to plug in one headlight to the kit to trigger the kits relays.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a few more odds and ends sorted out last night.

Power steering system has fluid in it now.
Brakes are blead out and don't appear to leak
Installed a new stainless clutch line from dorman - fit well and looks sharp.
installed the A/c condenser and it fit like crud. Really tight on the wiring that goes from side to side on the radiator support. Not sure what to do here.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before Cleaning

After cleaning. Used dawn and a brush. Cleaned up decent

The two conducers layer over each other. The new condenser was about 1" shorter in the core than the old one. Thus giving me tons of room for wiring.

And the brackets on the end were different. There again gave me more room for my wiring.

So the cooling stack, fan and fan shroud are all in. I want to move it out of the shop and let it idle to get the air worked out of the cooling system. As the engine bay is mostly done I'm onto the interior.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Handle before being polished

This is the handle after I polished it. Doesn't show well in the pictures but it's brighter in person. I ran it on my buffing wheel on my polisher.

And this is the body bolt access hole plugs. These were nasty dirty. A little PB blaster does wonders for plastic parts to clean them up.

Last night I also pulled the vent windows apart to clean them up and paint them. I would have taken pictures of them, but my phone battery died.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, did you order the condenser to fit a brick nose truck, or the OBS front clip? Just curious. Glad you were able to get it worked out.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I checked the interchange of the a/c condensers it was the same one for the brick nose and OBS trucks. I'm wondering if my old condenser was brick nose specific?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I've never seen dealer installed air in one of these pickups. Dealer installed a/c setups I've seen have always looked out of place to me. Like an add-on. I've always assumed this truck had dealer installed air and that's what I ordered parts for.

I put the weather stripping on the two front doors. Boy do those shut solid now. Huge difference over the old weather stripping. I'm assuming the weatherstripping needs to break in a bit before it shuts easier. The doors stand proud of the rear doors, but I'm hesitant to adjust them further until the weather stripping breaks in. I adjusted the doors without weather stripping first. I think this is the first time I've ever put in new weather stripping. I also put in new strikers on the posts.

This week I'm planning to get the glass installed in the front doors and get the rear door latches installed.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive seen both. the slider int he dash is a bit different.... the brackets for the a/c compressor are different. I couldnt tell you though if the condensors are the same or not because the one on my dealer installed truck was stolen with the rad and front clip (@#!#$!#$!! scrappers)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes