89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shot of the back of the front seats. I need to recover these in the chocolate leather, but I don't have the covers bought so these will do fine. They are tan at least.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the back wall of the cab.

And here is the truck by the lake. We took it to the lake for swimming. My kids thought it was too cool to finally ride in the pickup.

Funny thing was on the way home we got pulled over. The town cop ran my plate and the truck came back white. So he pulled us over and asked if we'd owned the truck for a while. He checked my ID quick as he stood there and let us go. I was worried as I had just put in the brake light switch before we left and seemed to have a blinker that's acting up. Not to mention probably numbers other items that could have been an issue.

I still have more interior to install and a lot of other misc stuff to tie up, but it'***** the point it's daily drivable.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuing to install trim. I bought all new #8 phillips head screws for installing the trim. Overall the trim is installing well. I've had to hunt and peck for screw holes a few times, but it's lining up well. Also I've been impressed with the PPG DBI interior paint I sprayed. It's adhered really well. I've not been gently when installing it and it's not scuffing or scratching up at all. Which is great as my 3 kids can break a rock given enough time.

Next I'm installing the door panels. They won't be painted or recovered, but will be usable as we need the pickup for an antique tractor show next weekend. When I recover the seats I'll recover and paint the door panels.

I'm also going to try and get my triple gage pillar pod installed before next weekend. I'd like to have my gages in when I pull our trailer

- Jeremy

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is really looking good! Makes me want to redo my interior now in grey to match my Lariat seats.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks Geniusloerts! There's been more than one time I've asked myself why I'm making it harder, but I do really like the way the interior is looking. And my red stuff was all looking pretty shabby anyway.

Carpet and headliner are probably the two costliest items to change since you already have seats, although you could die your carpet black for a grey interior?

-Jeremy

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, My carpet has seen better days tho. Did you have your headliner recovered or were you able to source a new one?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I redid the headliner myself. It was actually a used one from a 94 crewcab since mine had water damage. It took some work with the 90 degree air grinder and a yellow 3m bristle disc to remove all the foam, but wasn't too bad. I bought my headliner material and glue from http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/. Not super helpful with instructions, but youtube has tons of videos on how to do it.

My carpet I ordered from Rockauto. It is the ACCmats carpet. I ordered it with the mass backing on it also to help quiet stuff down. It took me a complete afternoon to fit it. Lots of futsy cutting to get it right. A set of gasket or leather hole punches would have been great for all the seat and seatbelt holes that needed cut.

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've continued to finish out the interior. I cleaned up all the thresholds using my power washer and mean Green. They cleaned up excellent! I couldn't believe it. They were covered with dust and grime. Other than some just and marks they came out looking darn near new.

I've also been working on the a-pillar gauge pod. I used JB weld to epoxy the pillar pod pieces I used onto the factory a-pillar. I also really cut out the back using an air body saw to give access to the back of the gages. The pod needs some more work as the holes are too small for my Isspro gages to fit in well.

I also installed my red door panels for now as we plan to use the truck next weekend to go camping at an old tractor show / threshing bee.

My next plan is to paint up some additional interior parts. I don't have a glove box or ashtray in the right color. So I'll need to paint them when I do the a-pillar.

-Jeremy

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Before enlarging the gauge holes, try heating them with a hair dryer or heat gun. Makes for a snug fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked on some more pickup stuff. Explorer keypad and keyless entry is fired back up. Works like a champ. I have a fuse feeding the relays now. I think the door lock fuse should protect them, but it didn't seem to be doing it earlier when I had a bad relay. I also wired in relay sockets this time vs just female spade connectors.

Kept working on the interior. Doors sills, sun visors (that still need recovered), trailer wiring, door lock handles, new doors handles installed, etc. Lots of little stuff.

Also hooked the pickup onto the trailer and gave it a test. Boy does this 1-ton with overloads handle this trailer better. Both trucks pull the trailer fine, but the 1-ton doesn't squat hardly at all. The 3/4 ton I have squats a lot. Which also makes hooking up the weight distributing hitch a royal pain. You got to hook it up and then use the tongue jack to lift the rear of the pickup up to hook up the weight bars. Then lower it all back down. And this trailer is heavy so you get a workout running the jack.

I also put a new break away setup and plug with terminal block on the front of the trailer. I used a conntek plug kit on it. Now it's a great junction box and the cable is wonderful, but the color codes never seem to match the trailer. Not sure why.

It's been amazing to me how many little things I've done, but how many more little things I've got to do.

5/16 cruise vacuum line
Cruise pad installed on the steering wheel
CDR line to intake
Brake controller
Stainless Window trim
Windshield wipers
Install gauges or is it gages?
Paint glove box, ashtray, pillar pod and fuse panel cover

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before enlarging the gauge holes, try heating them with a hair dryer or heat gun. Makes for a snug fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Hey Thanks! I'll definitely try that. I've got a heat gun out right now as I've been doing lots of heat shrink.

Hey next question....Do you use the mounting tabs on the gages still or let them be friction fit?

-Jeremy

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some you can, some you can't. If they will still go on, I would use them. But I recall having minimal room in the few I've done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks! I'll definitely try that. I've got a heat gun out right now as I've been doing lots of heat shrink.

Hey next question....Do you use the mounting tabs on the gages still or let them be friction fit?

-Jeremy

Use the clips. Later on, you will be glad you did.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still plugging away. I brought it to work today. It's about 20 minute ride and it did great. Didn't expect trouble, but you never know.

I took some sound decibel levels with an application on my phone. It hovered right around 70DB. I don't have anything to compare to, but it seems quiet in there. I'll compare it to my 93 and my cars next time I get a chance.

5/16 cruise vacuum line - installed
Cruise pad installed on the steering wheel - installed (cruise works also!)
CDR line to intake - installed
Brake controller - installed haven't tried it yet.
Windshield wipers - installed (and work after plugging the switch in)
Dash trims installed around cluster, radio, and switches

Install gauges or is it gages?
Paint glove box, ashtray, pillar pod and fuse panel cover
Stainless Window trim
transfercase shift boot and arm - needs some fideling since pattern is reversed with NP205 case
Wash the truck!! It's filthy

- Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I hope I can get my cruise working that easy. :rolleyes: I keep forgetting you are a brick truck with a face lift. I may have to probe you on the cruise situation. I hope just a column swap with the correct parts will have mine working.

And it's gauges. ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser I was really luck that the cruise worked so easily. It worked before I tore it apart, but I've been tracing a few gremlins after reinstalling everything.

Did a whole more bunch of little stuff to the truck.

Gauge - pod installed and working. I like the way it looks. I used JB-weld qwik to glue the gauge pod piece to my a-pillar and it worked turned out nice and painted up good.

I also painted and installed the fuse compartment cover, glovebox and ashtray.

I liked how this turned out. I didn't want to loose the fuse panel layout on the fuse panel door. The door I painted was grey so I taped off the diagram and painted the rest. I thought the diagram being over grey looked just fine.

I'll work on grabbing some more pictures of the interior to show how it turned out.

- Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online