88 f350 7.3 c6 to t19 swap

Trevor Melnyk

Reaction score
So I have a 88 f350 7.3 2wd and the c6 is shot and I already have a t19 that came off a 6.9 I have fly wheel clutch and cross member
I know I still need clutch master/slave
Peddles
Starter
Driveshaft
Am I missing anything and also I want to put a new fly wheel and clutch kit in while it's apart so what fly wheel sould a use does it matter if I get a 7.3 or 6.9 / what will work with the t19

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With the single mass flywheel that should have come with your T-19, you wouldn't have to buy a new one. You could just have it turned to true up the mating surface.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You did say that the flywheel came from a 6.9 and they are balanced slightly differently than a 7.3. I'm not sire if there was a T-19 behind the 7.3. The clutch disc will have to be for the T-19 since the splines on the input shaft are smaller in diameter than they are with a ZF5. It would be easier to order the disc for a 6.9 instead of the transmission. I don't know if the pressure plate for a T-19 will bolt up to a "7.3" flywheel. I hope that someone else with more knowledge on these parts than I have will be able to answer these questions.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rebuild the C6. It's a LOT more work to switch to the T-19, and not worth it. To a ZF-5, maybe, but the C6 is easier to rebuild than finding all the parts you're going to need.

Eli

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rebuild the C6. It's a LOT more work to switch to the T-19, and not worth it. To a ZF-5, maybe, but the C6 is easier to rebuild than finding all the parts you're going to need.

Eli

I would definitely not do this. I swapped a perfectly good c6 for a zf 5 speed and it transformed my truck and gave me 3 more mpg. I had a steep gravel driveway and with the c6 I had to get a running start and then labor it all the way up the hill. With the zf I just have to put it in 1st and let it crawl right up. The c6 leaves a lot of the low end torque these engines have on the table.

I don't know about the flywheel balance thing, but with everything else you need to pretend you have a 6.9 with a t19 for all your parts. Don't mix any later model zf stuff in there. And don't use a zf flywheel or a solid zf flywheel. I haven't heard balance of the 6.9 flywheel is different before, so you will need to research that.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I too cringe about 3spd automatics with low-powered diesels.

There was one year overlap with the 6.9 and the ZF ('87), not the other way (7.3 & T19). car-part.com lists a single and dual mass for the 6.9 in '87... I suspect the dual-mass was used with the ZF exclusively.

I think you need to suss out a 7.3L single-mass flywheel that mimics the 6.9 single-mass in every way but balance. Then use the T19 clutch.

Or just find the diesel ZF-S42. They aren't that tough to find. The OBS powerstroke guys are mostly obsessed with slightly stronger S47 variant, or attempting ZF6 swaps.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking on car-part, for 86 they list the 6.9 with just the one flywheel entry. In 87 they list two entries for the 6.9, the single mass and the dual mass. So that must be the year the 6.9 got the zf 5 speed. In 88 the 6.9 listing is gone, changed to a 7.3.

So what you could research, is the 6.9 dual mass flywheel a different part number than the 7.3 dual mass flywheel? If the balance was different between the engines, then you would think there would be a different part number. No way to check part numbers comparing a 6.9 regular flywheel and a 7.3 regular flywheel since the latter combination never existed.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick look on rockauto. Punched in a 1986 and they have solid conversion flywheel for the 6.9 5 speed combo from AMS with the part number 167325

I then punched in a 1987 that has a 7.3 with 5 speed combo. They list a replacement solid conversion flywheel from the same company, AMS, and it has the same part number 167325.

Keep researching, can't rely on one source.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Uh, I've had 3 6.9 trucks with zf5 with the 7.3 non turbo smf. Just got the clutch kit for the 7.3 idi non turbo. Never had any issue with any of them. The only idi clutch kit I have ever had issues with on a 6.9 was the kit for an idit. The idit is balanced differently. Hell the last 6.9 I had I left the t19 kit that was on it and swapped the clutch disk for a zf clutch disk and shoved the zf tranny and zf throw out bearing on it and the engine gave out before I had any clutch issues.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the ZF5 swap instead of a C6 or T19. Although if cost is a concern, I can understand why he'd rather use the parts he has.

I lived with a C6 for a while and it wasn't terrible after swapping out the 4.10 gears.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the 6.9 and 7.3 are balanced exactly the same only the 7.3IDI-T factory turbo is balanced differently. Next I just did this swap on a buddies truck c6 to t19 pretty straight forwards, Used the original cross member, Tcase, Tcase shifter, original driveshafts. We swapped the flywheel for the 6.9 flywheel and clutch (Remember to use permitex on flywheel bolt threads or they will leak oil and cause your clutch to slip!) we used a manual tunnel pan, ford was nice and put dimples in the firewall where it needs drilled for the slave cylinder, swapped pedals, otherwise its very straight forwards. The idi also uses the same starter for all transmissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online