'86 F250 XL Supercab 6.9 4X4

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Codes

I believe your right bull. I remember seeing a "E" stamped on the injector, but it was not on the hex. It was after "stanadyne". And before stanadyne was a "s" in a square box.;Sweet

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Fuel Gauge

Sort of an update on my rig.

Because my Fuel Gauge is not functioning on either of my fuel tanks, I decided to yank apart my dash and see what I could see. The wiring looks good, the panel looks un-damaged. I tested the yellow sending unit wire with my test meter and came up with 67 Ohms. Could someone do me a tiny favor and post what sending unit my truck uses for fuel and the Ohm range? I think its 70-10 Ohm. But I am unclear, as it has been so many years since I did any heavy studying and you tend to forget little things after time.

Lastly, how do you remove the Gauge Panel resistor from the back of the Gauge Cluster Panel? And what testing method do I use to test the unit to see if its working correctly? Also, I found a page that said the unit was a 5 volt pulse module. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.;Sweet

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the slight thread hijack but what turbo kit is that on the truck. My 84 F250 has the same oil accumulator on the firewall in the same location and I have a pedestal where what looks like a turbo could mount to in the same spot as where yours is located.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Hijacking welcome

Hey there,

No worries on the "hijacking" its all good. As for the turbo, I truly do not know. Some of the other guys on the forums that are older, wiser, and more experienced may know your answer. One of them said my turbo arrangement is rare, so keep that in mind. Other than that, I hope you get your answer.

Sorry I could not be more specific or helpful. Try diesel brad, agnem, or oldbull8. One of them should be able to help you. Others as well, however I do not know who they are.

best of luck to ye!;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the ohm range in the fuel sender, but generally what happens with these trucks is the potentiometer in the fuel tank simply wears out on the PC board. WHen I had my rear tank apart a while back I simply bent the wiper on the POT in order to make contact with a part of the slider circuit that had not worn through.

In my case it was simply intermittent readings at certain fuel tank levels. If you are getting no readings at all at any point from empty to full, then you might have a broken wire.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a RayJay kit.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayimage.php?&photoid=177476&width=0

Hey there,

No worries on the "hijacking" its all good. As for the turbo, I truly do not know. Some of the other guys on the forums that are older, wiser, and more experienced may know your answer. One of them said my turbo arrangement is rare, so keep that in mind. Other than that, I hope you get your answer.

Sorry I could not be more specific or helpful. Try diesel brad, agnem, or oldbull8. One of them should be able to help you. Others as well, however I do not know who they are.

best of luck to ye!;Sweet

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Fuel Gauge Woes

Well, spoke to diesel_brad at length about the fuel issues, and it sounds as if both my gauge sending units are hosed. The intermittent readings and then complete failure on both tanks at once, the air in the lines, and the lack of any damage/failure of ANYTHING else in the system points to the front and rear tank sending units which are prone to failure. JOY... NOT.

Thanks to diesel_brad for the help. I owe ye one !;Sweet:hail

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Found my fuel sending unit issue!!!!!!!

Damnable FLOAT!!!! -cuss Thing split, and sucked fuel.:mad::puke: Going to see about getting either a new one or one form a junk unit. Will post pics of unit, which is surprisingly new looking and has a ford part tag (D6 FORD E5TF-9275-DD).;Sweet

Only one problem :mad: With the sending unit being mostly good and the tubes NOT rotted.. WHERE THE HELL IS THE AIR COMING FROM. -cuss Which brings me to the simple solution : the guys down at knechts treat me like I work there. THat said, parking lot line change -._ Gonna just convert all those damn lines to 90% hard line 10% rubber ( Rubber where hard line wont fit connections I.E. : sending unit tubes, 6 port selector valve tubes, etc.)

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 5

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
November updates

Well, its almost November, and that means a new government check. So, I will be getting some new parts for the truck. Here is a list :

1) One of two sending units for the fuel tanks from LMC truck
2) Replacement CB antenna system for the one that was stolen under questionable circumstances:backoff
3) Solar battery charger, just in case.
4) Door seals because the originals are damaged and partly missing (don't need rusted out doors shells...)
5) Front left marker light to replace the one than became missing mysteriously:backoff

All in all, should be about $380.00 bucks this month... Maybe next month I can get to some other things that are needed as well.
;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my MH rear tank awhile back, needed a float, got one from CarQest, expensive $14.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Float

yeah, the float on mine is cracked and bad, but the circuit board is bad too. only registers tank at 1/4. the only part of the sending unit thats good is the piping. go figure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle