86 f250 6.9 rebuild/refresh advice and questions

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on who/ where this pump came from?
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like I'll be biting the bullet on the rocker arms if nobody has a better idea haha. I'll scan the Internet/ talk to the local Napa and just do the best I can. Getting the bug to get as far as I can while work is a little slower; I know this won't last.

Some pics. Hopefully more tomorrow; the shop on base doesn't allow painting, but the boss isn't around on Saturday [emoji106]. Hoping to get the front cover and water pump on, then mock-up/tape the rest and get it painted.

A little cleaning with a wire wheel

This ******* is the reason I'm doing all this work. He survived all the way until I was cleaning out the threads until someone noticed that piece was still in the block. Even machined flat. Drilled out.

Paint! The simplest thing and yet the part the girl likes best 'ooh it looks new! Nice!' .. Whatever works for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 7.3 rockers available but they'll need to be cleaned up a tad from wear. $50 shipped w/ bolts.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never get tired of seeing those massive 4 bolt mains....-Drool

I remember that crank was pretty heavy too. Fond memories...

Nice truck, btw.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bdcarillo. I asked Napa and they thought they could do new ones for closer to $20 each; will know Monday when their supplier is open.

And thanks david85! I'm finally getting excited about owning it again; only had it for 100miles when it blew that head bolt. Missed a whole summer of using it.

More pics. Today was football day so didn't spend much time; timing cover, water pump, and more paint

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rockers I have show a little 5 thou ridge from valve stem wear. I think I can fit them and their bolts in a flat rate box so I could do $15 shipped.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it BDCarillo, but if Napa can do what they thought on price I would just be happier knowing it was all new. They keep surprising me as I have never known Napa to be the best price wise; being proven wrong this year.

Going to be buying a rear main seal too. Trying to decide whether or not to sleeve it. It has a slight groove where the old seal was, but I mean slight. So slight it seems pretty normal to me, making me wonder if I should bother with a sleeve. Wish I had a good picture. Advice?

Attachments

• crankshaft (1).jpg
    crankshaft (1).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 114

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little more done. Work has been busy probably won't let up soon, so progress continues to be slow. But it is progress!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy volunteered to help me put the motor in. It needs a little more wiggling to get it all the way (we ran out of time), but it's real close.

Yes, the exhaust manifolds were on the wrong sides at first. One of those days.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420926888.537863.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420926888.537863.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 88

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really is a nice shade of blue. Would make a nice truck color.... (WINK)

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a ford color off the parts store shelf. Ford blue haha. I'm an Auburn University grad living near Florida gator country (likely only the guys from the south get this) and sadly it looks more like gator colors. I still like it though. More important that it runs.

Such slow progress with so much else going on in my life. It's driving me crazy that I don't have this done!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Close to starting time. As always life gets in the way, but that's ok long as she runs before I move here soon!

WITHOUT starting a 'this brand vs that brand' free for all, I would like some simple suggestions of what oil to run for my break in. No way am I spending the $9/qt for break in oil at Napa, but I am open to an additive if it would help (I am familiar with BG's MOA, but not in a diesel application). Was thinking of going Delo 15W40 because its a good price and decent oil, and 'cold' down here is 45 degrees. Napa also has a Delo syn blend 10W30, and of course Rotella T. I used Napa as my initial stop to compare what's out there; I'll go to whatever store I need to. Which weight is better for break-in? Any specifics such as conventional vs synthetic or additives that would be good? I was planning 500 miles, 3000 miles, then 3-5k normal intervals.

Also trying to decide between Fleet Charge and Final Charge. I understand the difference is that Final Charge is an ELC, but other than the change interval the significance escapes me. I have an aluminum radiator and heater core if that makes a difference. Also adding a coolant filter.

Thanks anyone for input.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've only used fleet charge. And like it.
Now on the break in oil. I've heard synthetic is a no no. But also this day and age, break in oil specifically isn't necessary. Long as you follow a good drain interval.
I would say the delo would be fine.
Not sure here, but first change should be sooner than 500 miles.
Also gary will have some good break in advice. Lol

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk