86 6.9 wiring for swap.

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay i bought a parts truck for the 86 6.9IDI and wannna know what i need for wiring from the parts truck for my swap. The motor is going into a 1979 ford f250 4x4.

I assume engine harnesst.But what else and Could someone tell me the color and color code of what i need.

thank you

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to use a glowplug controller or wire it for manual glowplugs? If you are going to use a controller, I don't think I would use the 6.9 type controller.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need is the wiring from the glowplugs to the glowplug relay. You will be adding your own wiring from the glowplug relay to the manual switch in the dash you will be using.

You will need a hot wire from the ignition switch to the hot wire on the injection pump to make it run. The original 78 coil wire will not work because it's a special resistance type wire, so I would run a new wire from the ignition switch to the injection pump.

I would take the large wire off the 78 starter solenoid that went to the 78 starter, and instead run a smaller wire from this terminal to the small terminal on the diesel starter to trigger it to crank. You will have to run new large wiring from the large terminal of the diesel starter to the two new batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online