85 Drum Removal

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the bast way to remove the Drum . All tips welcomed also.
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
You will frequently have a harder time removing the drum on an older truck. This is because the shoes have work the drum over time to the point where there is an actual lip along the open edge. As the shoes wear you adjust them outward to remain effective. As you use the brakes you eventually wear the drum. This leaves a lip along the open edge.

When you try to remove the drum the shoes are adjusted outward to the point where they will not clear that lip. This means that you must adjust the shoes inward so that they do not hit that lip when you pull the drum off. Once you start adjusting the shoes inward, it's just a matter of trial and error until you can pull that drum off.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ +1; there will actually be two challenges. First, the drum may well be rusted to the hub. A few "bell ringer" whacks with a sledge while rotating the drum should take care of that (along with some PB Blaster around the hub bore and lug holes). Then once it busts loose of the rust, you'll likely run into ^^^^^^^^. Fix - once you get the drum off, grind off that lip.

This is a late-'85 truck, Sterling axle? (Looks like it....)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that chincy assed jackstand, in the dirt.... is asking for problems. dont crawl under that thing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a very real chance you have a Dana 70 axle as opposed to a Ford 10.25". 1985 was the year Ford changed from Dana axles to Ford axles on the heavy-duty pickups, so most early '85's have Dana 70's and late '85's have 10.25" axles.

The hub on Dana axles doesn't stick out as far as on Ford axles...and, from the picture, that looks like a Dana hub to me. Does the differential cover have a plug for filling the axle with gear oil, or is the plug on the side? If the plug is on the side, it's a 10.25"...otherwise, it might be a Dana. Can you post pictures of the rear cover?

If you have a Dana axle, you will need to remove the axle halfshaft before the drum can come off. I think it's just a matter of unbolting the plate at the end of the hub, catching any gear oil that will come out, and pulling the plate and the axleshaft that's attached to it out, but you'll want to look up the procedure in further detail.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dana has a thick flange with the drum behind it. Looks like a Sterling to me.

After you adjust the shoes inward, I saw a guy at the inspection station getting stuck drums off by taking a hammer and beating INWARD around the outside edge. Go around and around like someone else mentioned, beating inward.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sharp smack with a punch and hammer between the lugs can also help loosen rust.

Of course, a soak in penetrant will help too

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Will a sterling from a 86 bolt up to and 84 with a Dana rear?
Rhinking about picking up a 84 4x4 and doing a body swap.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here"s two better pictures

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that ain't a sterling 10.5, based on the cover, and the rear drums I did sure didn't have that thick flange in front of them.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1003or-a-basic-drum-brake-how-to/

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ +1; 10 bolts, matches the Dana on my early '85 (Sterlings are 12-bolt). I bet if you look real close, to the right of the cover in that lower right triangular part of the diff body, you'll see a little diamond-shaped logo; that's the DANA logo.

So DON'T try to pound the drum off. You DEF have to take the axle cover off as described above, but I **THINK** I remember reading in the FSM that you also have to remove the outer hub nut and bearing to get the drum off. Maybe tonight while we're watching TV I'll leaf thru the book again and review.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes,

If it is like the Dana's used in the 73-79 F-250, you have to remove the large nut and the bearings to remove the hub/drum since they are one piece. Similar to how the 4x4 Dana front axles are on the Fords.....

Readers Digest removal:

Remove wheel
Remove 8 bolts on end of hub
Slide out axle shaft and flange from axle tube
Remove large bearing retaining nut and outer bearing
Pull hub/drum off (may have to un-adjust brake shoes)
Brakes are now exposed. Inspect inner bearing and replace oil seal, or you will be back in here again soon.........

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Axle nut off then bearing and hub. its a wet mess in there . Can i take off the whole backing plate and rebuild indoors ? i have the spring kit and wheel cylinder? Drums and new seal bearings and races look good. its a Dana 70u