84' 6.9 IDI transplant to an 86' body identical?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've come across an IDENTICAL 86' with a 470 in it - it's PRISTINE. 90k original miles. It's actually kinda creepy - it's like the vehicle was in a time capsule.

Is it possible or advisable to swap the engine, transmission, etc? Or should I just grab the bed and body panels off of it to fix mine?

Thoughts?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
470 gasser? Sure it ain't no 460? If tis in such great shape, I'd say go ahead and drop the diesel stuff in it - if nothing else, at least you'll end up with better suspension and interiors.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need the wiring harness and engine mounts and dash from yours. It goes without saying you want to keep that GV and T19 which will also replace the transmission behind the 460 gasser, oh yeah also starter adapter plate etc. There really are no differences between the 80-86 trucks, 87-91 are when some changes were made and a few more 92-98

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My biggest hesitation is having put limited slips and 3.78's in my current vehicle, I also put in custom 3-point belts in the rear with tubular steel reinforcements behind the plastics - really sturdy install.

My God this vehicle I'm looking at is mint. Maybe I'll just buy it and pull the bed, hood and other stuff...

Why isn't it a 6.9????!!!!! /cry

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard swapping rear ends isn't too bad, front ends... don't know. I know I paid a guy a couple hundred to swap my identical 10.25 rear ends 4.10s for 3.55s you know....
JD

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Can someone indicate the difference in the suspensions? I carried 2 tons of sand today and I was very impressed with my current suspension :)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count the leafs on both vehicles, and also look for swaybars - leafs can be swapped fairly easy, coils can be more of a pain, rear bars look easy anough but fronts are gonna be a beyotch as the endlinks hook up to brackets between the front coils and the I-beams.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 460 and the 6.9 have a similar weight - close enough for Ford to put the same rate springs under trucks with either motor. There are still variations - I.E., you will find same model year trucks that do or don't have overloads with various motors- it was a kind of a crapshoot. The front is the same with any 250, regardless of motor.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Ok just got back from seeing the truck. Turns out it's beige on green, not white on red like mine. The bed is in decent shape - couple of scratches, no rust. The vehicle is pretty pristine, the 460 is leaking oil from what would seem to be the oil sump gasket.

Starts on a dime and runs smoothly. It's a regular cab not a supercab as originally surmised. The interior is pristine as well. 94k original miles 1 owner. Used to pull a 5th wheel.

What do we think this 86' is worth? Oh it's 2wd. I'm taking the bumpers, bed, quarter panels, hood and maybe the doors. Might grab the dash although it's green! Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online