80s Tale gates VS 90s Tale gates latch

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Its seems they are different. My truck never had a real tale gate. So my friend gave me one from a 80s F250 and i have a 91 box on mine It seems the latch is different My box seems to have a torx pin like a door latch, and where my tale gate looks like it needs a "catch" like what is used on the chevy boxes

Im wondering if anyone has had this problem and what there solution was. If its eayser to witch the latch on the gate or the catch pin on the box

Thx

Alex

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Change the latch on the bed. it is 10X's easier, then you don't have to mess with all the linkages and what not, if i remember correctly there is no access panel on the tailgate he gave you so i would definetly change them on the bed

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Change the latch on the bed. it is 10X's easier, then you don't have to mess with all the linkages and what not, if i remember correctly there is no access panel on the tailgate he gave you so i would definetly change them on the bed

You cant just change the pin on the bed, they are in different locations

Its seems they are different. My truck never had a real tale gate. So my friend gave me one from a 80s F250 and i have a 91 box on mine It seems the latch is different My box seems to have a torx pin like a door latch, and where my tale gate looks like it needs a "catch" like what is used on the chevy boxes

Im wondering if anyone has had this problem and what there solution was. If its eayser to witch the latch on the gate or the catch pin on the box

Thx

Alex

Put a 87-97 latch on the 80-86 tailgate, it will bolt right one from my understanding.

Put a 87-97 latch on the 80-86 tailgate, it will bolt right on from my understanding.
87-97 gate
You must be registered for see images attach

86 gate

87-97 bed

86 bed

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Wow thanks allot that's a very detailed post im going to run off to the wrecker now and see what i can find :) :)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I really like the '87-'97 tailgate latch system much much better than the older system. Opens eaier and I don't have to slam it shut. Too bad you can easily convert the older tailgates to that system.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I really like the '87-'97 tailgate latch system much much better than the older system. Opens eaier and I don't have to slam it shut. Too bad you can easily convert the older tailgates to that system.

Heath
I have to agree with that statement...I've also found that the '80-'86 latch setup has a tendency to freeze up easily and can be difficult to lubricate...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle