7.3 stuck lifter

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few of you might remember what I'm working on. 1994 7.3 idi turbo. It had a bad lifter bust up the push rods on #2 cylinder. And when I say stuck I mean stuck in the slot. I got its buddy out but the one that started this problem can be lifted about 1/2" and no further. When I tryed to pull it out the first time I heard a piece of it fall into the oil pan. I want to pull the little fella' out without taking the engine into a shop, but as you can imagine I try to shy away from brute force when dealing with engine parts. That's about what it would take to remove. My thinking is to pull the cam and let that one fall through. I just don't want to pull a cam until I find out if the cam lobe is bad. I don't even know what would cause it to jam in there. Unless the cam is bad and wore a spot on the lifter that is preventing it from coming out.:dunno

So the question is, assuming it budges, is it okay to scar up the bore as I pull that lifter out? Will a little damage to the slot cause a problem?

Anybody have any other ideas on how to get that thing out?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The rollers are held together with roll pins, yours may have worked loose and no matter how much effort you put into it, it ain't coming out the top. Pull the cam. If it has a flat spot, you need to replace it anyway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would do as posted above. Tearing up the lifter bore will require a sleeve instalation and thats costly too. I'm thinking the cam is shot too. Telling you to just replace the lifter is not a good idea either so. Replace the cam and lifters. Now would be a good time to install the typ4 cam. More torque and hp is a good thing. If you didn't or don't keep the pushrods in the correct oreintation with the hardened ends up in the rockers just replace them too. If the soft end meets the rocker it will wear out. The hard end is usually copper colored for identifiaction ease. Sorry but the complete front of the engine needs to come off. The cam gear needs to be removed along with the thrust washer but check with Russ first before you remove it. I don't think his cam comes with this on it..:dunno The cam bolt torque is 25 lbs and its easiest to remove when the cam is still in the engine. It has the crank holding it from turning. The lifters will drop out th bottom of the lifter bores too so be ready to catch the stuck one when the cam moves out. Pics would be nice too of the why the lifter wont come out... The cam will be very difficult to determine if the lobe is damaged without degreeing it on a set of rollers and a degree wheel and dial indicater...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
simple pull the engine out since a part is in the pan already....

pop all lifters out. pull crank rods pistons, then fiddle with lifter from underneath if you can see it, till it pops out....

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured as much. You are right, it would be a good time to get the TYP4 cam :sly. The truck is in gravel right now and I was hoping to be able to start it and drive it to concrete to get that engine pulled. Looks like I'll have to push some cars around. That's what happens when you have to many projects. Better to do it the right way I guess rather than take a risk on that cam. I have taken appart and assembled every part on idi's except the cam. Anything in particular I should worry about when installing it? My machinest told me he prefered to install the cam himself. I don't really know why, unless there is some special part needed to replace it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pressing off the gear and thrust washers and mechanical pump lobe is the tuff part. Heat helps but don't heat more than 250 degrees. Thats plenty hot to expand material. To put all the parts back on the new cam heat the parts in the oven at home if nobody is home...:sly The thrust clearance is something you need to check before anything comes apart and when its all together too. These cams have roller lifters with needle bearing supporting the rollers. There is no breackin so just install and run it....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured as much. You are right, it would be a good time to get the TYP4 cam :sly. The truck is in gravel right now and I was hoping to be able to start it and drive it to concrete to get that engine pulled. Looks like I'll have to push some cars around. That's what happens when you have to many projects. Better to do it the right way I guess rather than take a risk on that cam. I have taken appart and assembled every part on idi's except the cam. Anything in particular I should worry about when installing it? My machinest told me he prefered to install the cam himself. I don't really know why, unless there is some special part needed to replace it.

If your machinist is also an engine builder, it is just so he makes sure of the gear timing. Otherwise there is not much to worry about installing a camshaft. Just take your time and use plenty of oil on the journals.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks for the tips. If everything goes smoothly I'll have it out of there this weekend. Slap some paint on there while I'm at it. I'm happy right now because my brother got a job doing powder coating. So some parts are off to be coated for free ;Sweet.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'll be sure to let you know if I find any other crazy things wrong with this engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online