7.3 PSD LOTS of problems!

forumpete58

Reaction score
Problem started last week; motor started idling erratically and dying. I was told it may be the UVC harness so I was going to start wrenching today but while I was out driving today when the problem got even worse. Besides the engine continuously dying, now I occasionally have a really high idle (near 1k), and other times I get no engine response off the line, I hit the throttle and engine doesn’t even rev. The SES light finally came on so I took it to AutoZone for a scan….scan came back negative for codes but the light was still on.
Thanks!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I may be way off here (the psd gurus should come soon) but couldn't that be air in the fuel lines? sounds a lot like it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
First off...WELCOME to OB! :cheers:

How long have you owned the truck and what year?

When was the last time you washed down the engine compartment or drove thru some deep water?
Possible IDM {injector driver module} located on the drivers side fender- close to the firewall.

Have you been able to check the UVC connections?

Do you know when the CPS {cam position sensor} was last replaced...if at all?

need more info....... the year would help alot !

forumpete58

Reaction score
I bought the truck about two months ago, its a late 99. I already had problems with the CPS so its' been replaced. I haven't gotten a chance to check the UVC connections I was going to today but wanted to talk to you guys first. I haven't driven through any deep water or washed the engine compartment.
Thanks!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the autozone:puke: scanners ...they don't work on a powerstroke for squat. Need to get it to a Ford dealer or diesel shop equiped to do a proper diagnostic on it. Sad to say that many times SES light on & problems won't throw a code.....why:dunno.

Don't discount the CPS either just because it's on;y 2 months old.

Could be the IDM, CPS, EOT, IPR etc...... or even a combination of problems.

I don't think a bad UVC harness could cause a high idle unless the computer is trying to compensate for an injector not firing.

What comes to mind for me that could cause all of these symptoms is the engine oil temperature EOT sensor going bad causing the computer to think the engine is cold or hot and changing the timing......or possibly a bad/sticking IPR valve or ICP sensor not getting the correct high oil pressure to the injectors?

Get a good diagnostic done before throwing parts at it because it's cheaper than hit and miss guessing on these engines.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a small can-type fuel filter back near your fuel tanks? It sounds like the time mine plugged up. You aren't getting enough fuel or are getting air in the system somewhere.