7.3 NA Confusion

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm soon to take delivery of a 1994 diesel, but I'm not sure of the exact engine ID. I wish I could look at the viin, but I have not yet got the truck and I want to get up to speed asap.

Anyway, as I said, it is a 1994 automatic-with a factory Powerstroke decal on the tailgate [confirmed by the origional owner] and thus is the source of my confusion.
Powerstroke or not? It does not have a turbo. So I guess it is either a IDI or.....
the other injection style[it's late and I cannot think of it]

Thanks in advance,.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the tailgage was swapped from a powerstroke? I'm not even sure if marketing at ford was using the "powerstroke" name at the time. for 1994, I think they were simply called "direct injection" turbo diesel on the plastic engine cover.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know then. If in doubt, get him to take a picture of the engine bay and we will be able to identify it.

1994 had the 7.3L IDI N/A, 7.3L IDI turbo, and the 7.3L DI powerstroke as options.

I don't know of any direct injected diesels that were not turbocharged for that year (or any other) of ford pickup.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is this a pig in a poke ( bought sight unseen) ?
Did you at least get pictures of the engine?
If so could you post them ?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If it is a 94 and an automatic it is impossible to be a factory powerstroke.The Powerstroke ONLY came in the hand shaker.Ford couldn't get the Engine and trans computer to work together in time for the 94 release.Also,if there is no turbo then it is 100% a IDI.The PSD ONLY came in turbo.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Also,don't confuse the factory powerstroke decal with teh Turbo diesel decal.It was used for both Factory Turbo IDIs and early Powerstrokes.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, lets see if I can get it all answered in one reply.
The owner in an over the road trucker, thus the low mileage due to his being away from home and not wishing to drive much when he was home. He was departing as soon as I was done looking the truck over, so I cannot nor can he get any second looks until he returns home. His neighbor has wanted this truck for years, and was called when he decided to sell, unfortunitatly for him. not me, his neighbor had just bought a 1995 extended cab PS. So it was the neighbor [and my coworker] that insisted I look at this truck. Two things about the decal-it clearly says "Powerstroke" and the tailgate is painted the same scheme as the rest of the truck, the paint he 'special ordered' when he bought the truck new.

His neighbor, my coworker, has a Turbo Powerstroke so I am not confusing the two decals. I think however that Freight Train has hit the nail on the head with my confusion, with an automatic paired only with an IDI in 1994.

Maybe I best wait another few days on his return {fingers crossed] and I can see firsthand what the engine bay and vin reveals. I'll report back when I find out exactly what it is. I also want to find out if he used any coolant additive, beings it is a pre 1996-it does have green antifreeze in it however. I'll get some test strips today so I will have them. Don't forget it only has what, 120K miles on the odometer!

Thanks for all the inputs.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot-I did not take any pictures but will be happy to post some after the owner gets back so we can finish up this deal. It isn't the most 'cherry' truck out there, but is very nice even given its age and never having any restro work done to it. The body does have about 4" rusted thru above the rear wheel wells, but that is all that is noticeable at this time. No dents/accidents ever. Just a few age related issues but very minor considering his asking price and the mileage.

Later........

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also,don't confuse the factory powerstroke decal with teh Turbo diesel decal.It was used for both Factory Turbo IDIs and early Powerstrokes.

OK-I got the F250 today, and I have got to 'Eat Crow'. On the tailgate, plain as day, is an emblem that says "DIESEL".

No 'turbo'-no 'powerstroke', just the factory "diesel" emblem.

It is a NA 7.3 IDI.

My bad-I should not have jumped the gun and waited until now.......

Pictures will follow as soon as the weather will cooperate.

Thanks all for your comments.

BTW- it runs much like a new one, only a few minor problems!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in all due honesty, you can badge your truck to be anything as long as you have the proper donor;Sweet
a patrol car "donated" it's badge to my truck:D

Attachments

• p71truck.jpg
    p71truck.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 7

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now for the real issue... I'm almost sure that in 94 all you culdbuy was the idi turbo or the pad turbo. Any truck can be badged whatever you want it to be. This motor in the 94 should have a serpentine belt setup and the block serial numbers will start at 1,116,331 and go up from that if this is truely a 94 motor. Any idi motor will fit in thesetrucks and many have been repowered by an earlier motor just to keep them on the road. I really don't recall us being able to buy a non trbo 94 motor but in 93 you could... The first part of 93 Ford ofered the non turbo idi. The last have the offered the turbo idi and inthe last 2 or 3 months the psd withoutthe intercooler was offered. That was a busy year....

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I found where the serial number should be and true to most 15 year old engines, it is covered over with oil encrusted dirt, and right now the weather is nasty and I don't want to mess with cleaning it. ICANFIXALL is right though, it does have a serpentine belt with a shock looking tensioner setup. This motor does not have a turbo [nor intercooler-natch]. Specs follow;
Build date of 10-93.....E code automatic transmission......39 code axle.
The viin is 2FTHF26M3RCA29XXX.

In the next few days/weeks I will be getting up to speed with what I bought and maintenance issues. High on my priority list is fluid/filter changes-not that anything but the transfer case needs it, but just to reassure myself of a good starting point for maintaining an excellent low mileage F250!

Pointers and hints/advise welcome. I will use the 'search' function and read a lot.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
with a build date of 10-93 it could very well be titled and sold as a '94 even though its truely a '93 truck. most auto companys are guilty of doing this and it makes for some interesting trouble shooting sometimes.

try working on an engine swap using a 91 suzuki sidekick/geo tracker engine. its a split year between obd1 and obd2 and i have found harnesses to have a mix of wire colors from both diagrams as they retooled for the change over... one set of wires were on the older diagrams...the other set on the newer...i did an engine swap and had to use three different diagrams and an FSM to figure it all out

lookin forward to some pics...good score!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin