7.3 Losing Power W/ Odd Happenings

vanlifevlog

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for checking this post!

2003 Blue Bird Bus Conversion
7.3 Powerstroke
80k miles

Symptoms:

One of my drivers is currently broken down near Moab and we are trying to diagnose this issue and wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same issues.

Before the trip, the bus would lose power at a quarter tank and below. After some research, I assumed it was a tank pickup issue once the tank got low. Multiple people I asked said their 7.3 busses do the same thing. The bus can still cruise at 60-70mph but doesn't have much power. Sometimes it runs perfect, sometimes it has some power loss. It idles fine with no issues.

The bus was on route to be delivered to California to one of my crew. While on the road, these issues started happening. I drove the bus from Indiana to Montana, Montana to Indiana, Indiana to Kansas with no issues as long as I kept the fuel above a quarter tank. The entire time the bus has great power and no issues whatsoever.

Before leaving indiana we replaced the fuel filter, changed the oil and looked over the engine for leaks.

Clues:

The coolant reservoir started leaking out of the cap. It was warped and the cap wasn't sealing. We assumed it was from the elevation change and was pushing the coolant out. Now, the coolant is brown (see pics) but does not appear to be mixed with oil. The dipstick is clean with no coolant in the oil. (see pics)

A check engine light came on and it's either the sending unit or the fuel pressure regulator (according to the code).

I'm scratching my head because the coolant turned brown and having issues. I'm writing today to see if anyone has had this issue or give any guidance on what to do/look for.

Present Situation:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm flying someone out now to change the sending unit/fuel pressure regulator.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could be combustion gases into the cooling system. Usually from cracked injector cups.
Your fuel pressure regulator code is more likely ipr or icp related.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coolant tank increasing capacity isn't good. Let it settle and see if it's diesel. If so, you've got bad o-rings or injector cups

what was the code? Fuel pressure isn't monitored by the PCM so it's probably oil related.