7.3 IDI Timing

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to find someone in the central PA area that's capable of "properly" setting the timing on my 7.3 IDI. I had the heads rebuilt, and added a new injection pump & injectors. The garage set the timing by ear. The power is terrible and the fuel mileage is worst than before the parts were added. It's also very difficult to start. I'm sick of it and ready to pay someone with knowledge of these engines to make the proper adjustments. Does anyone have specific knowledge of a garage or individual capable of doing this in the central PA area?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this can be dealt with simple enough actually.

You say it is difficult to start, what is happening can you provide more details as to whats going on?

I have no idea where central PA is however Mel from here his user name of Agnem owns Conestoga Diesel
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/

He just might be your quickest support to you as he can time these trucks too. Check with Mel I only know he is in PA that is all.

If you don't go that route Icanfixall here his name is Gary has just got back his timing meter rental program up and running after a long hiatus. It has taken a lot of work and effort however Gary stuck with it when it looked like it was doomed.

I'd suggest you review this thread here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...iming-Meter-Rental-Program-Is-Available-Again

Then contact Gary, he can offer advice and help.

Good luck either way

Al

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is exactly what I need!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel in located in Lancaster county I think. He is your closest person that can and will help you fix the timing. He has timed thousands of trucks at the last 11 years of rally attendees. He works tirelessly doing this. As much as I know bout these engines and timing I had him time my engine after we both worked installing the latest Moose pump on my engine. Driving home the 2200 miles from the 2009 rally I got 18.9 mpg doing 75 to 85 mph in double overdrive with my Gear vendors. It was a nice trip and I really was just keeping up with traffic on the freeways. I like to get in line with the truckers because they know where the speed traps are. When they let off so do I. Mel is a great guy too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online