7.3 IDI Smokes at all times

horn12007

Reaction score
Lets try again...
There is a sticky about this issue , before ya toss cash at it, read up!
Do some recon, check out the ip, inj,timing, then after the cleaning up riotwarrior mentioned we can try some more radical($$$) stuff.

A sticky in the 7.3 about smoking like this? I just looked and didn't see them. Unless you are referring to removal of IP....http://oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a bunch of answers all spread out , on the schrader no pressure unless its running ( iirc)due to the return lines.
Timing, leaking inj, bad pump, all can cause this.
Any idea how many miles on ip and inj???
100k is about all ya get there.
Check /search fuel pressure gauge, a bad lift pump can wreak havoc.

Heres some ???
Clean fuel system( tanks up) ?
Wmo/ home brew fuel history?
All inj. Matched ( type and pop)?
Returns tight?
Good power to ip?
Cold idle adv. solenoid working?

The sins of the p.o. Shall be wrought upon you( this sux).
There is a ton of info onsite.
Good luck

Last edited:

horn12007

Reaction score
I'd say roughly 5 million miles. lol. I really have no idea on the history. I really don't think it was maintained based on what I've seen so far. Too many small issues weren't fixed let alone the big ones.....but that's what you get with a very cheap rollback.

Yea, I'm trying to research some. Mainly been googling the issues. One huge issue with forums is 95% of the time, the thread just dies. The OP rarely says what happened to fix it.

I'll take a look at those things. I did a generic GP test. (Saw on youtube). Using a test light. One end goes to power - battery (key off), unplug GP wire and touch the tip to the glow plug. If it doesn't light up, it is for sure bad. Now that seems like a very general test. I know really testing with ohms is the way to go. I did have 1 GP not light up. Obviously it wouldn't cause smoking like this.

I'll get to it some tmw and see what I can find.

horn12007

Reaction score
So I didn't get much time to mess with it today. I fired it up. It struggles to fire up (cranks a bit) and yes I use ether to get it to fire. Once it fires, it idles fine and doesn't try to die or anything. The smoke smelled like fuel.

Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow and figure it out.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aparently The glows are not working start there!
Thats why its smoking/smells like fuel( for starters)
Could also be likened to wet stacking' where left to idle for long periods of time unburnt fuel will load up in the engine untill the rpm's come up,
My 88 had a fake statt in it ( locked open) it would take 30 min's to get warm, I could smoke the thing for an easey mile on fuel spooled up .
Take yer time , add this to my list above,,,
Fix glows( look up manual glow plug mod) if ya want!
Replace t stat with a ford or ih stat only
Purge the fuel system per Al's tech post.
Time it with a meter( see icanfixall)
Drive it for a few non stop hrs HARD and hot( blow out the cobwebs)
Run some fuel cleaner for the tanks( lookup ? Alge in tank?? Someone chime in here please!)
And look up crack in a can ( ether is bad juju)

horn12007

Reaction score
Aparently The glows are not working start there!
Thats why its smoking/smells like fuel( for starters)
Could also be likened to wet stacking' where left to idle for long periods of time unburnt fuel will load up in the engine untill the rpm's come up,
My 88 had a fake statt in it ( locked open) it would take 30 min's to get warm, I could smoke the thing for an easey mile on fuel spooled up .
Take yer time , add this to my list above,,,
Fix glows( look up manual glow plug mod) if ya want!
Replace t stat with a ford or ih stat only
Purge the fuel system per Al's tech post.
Time it with a meter( see icanfixall)
Drive it for a few non stop hrs HARD and hot( blow out the cobwebs)
Run some fuel cleaner for the tanks( lookup ? Alge in tank?? Someone chime in here please!)
And look up crack in a can ( ether is bad juju)

Yea I know 1 plug is bad for sure.

The smoke stays like that for a long time. It was driven about 45mins to my storage and smoked pretty good then too. It might seem worse since it is in the building. I really do think buying GP is a good idea and not throwing away money (would do it either way). So, might as well do them early.

Wouldn't using ether be more of a fuel issue or is it that ether burns at a lower temp? Hence bad glows not helping the start/heating up combustion chamber (CB). Once it fires due to the ether, the CB is hot enough to burn diesel?

I've looked into the GP controller mod. It seems highly debatable, but I do think I will do it in the near future. Not at this moment.

I will look into the rest. Thanks. I really do what to look at the timing. Noticed today that 1 of the lemon cover holes were stripped. What a shocker! no biggie though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either n glow plugs makes for good boom boom bam sometimes....never use the two together

MOTORCRAFT or IH made by Beru gp only for starters.....

Sounds like a dribbler or you have maybe a cyl with low comp

Any chuffing sound out tail pipe?

Any huffing sound out intake...remove air cleaner lid!

A low popping injector or two will cause this issue as its squirting at wrong time and wont fire correctly....

New injectors from some craptastic autopartz store are well craptastic auto parts store craptastic parts.

Hell even a quality reman from R n D or Russ or Mel would likely be better....plus you ha e knowledgable folk standing behind their product.

New return lines and olives to make sure NO air leaks woukd be good idea too....but if going to do injectors wait till then.

Timing is key too...where are timing marks on ip vs ip gear tower? Search timing marks for timing lights....I have done 3 good timing threads....plenty of great info in them.

If anything maybe adva ce timing a red.....hair....see if that helps...make a witnesz mark first....no scratch that read timing threads....its all covered in there.

JM7.3CW

horn12007

Reaction score
Just picked up some a set of Motorcraft GPs from adv auto for about $50 (with a tube of rtv)

IMO there is a "huffing" noise out the intake. Definitely an air noise. (air cleaner removed). I haven't been able to pay too much attention to the exhaust aside from the looks.

I will double check timing marks tmw and look into timing light.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up some a set of Motorcraft GPs from adv auto for about $50 (with a tube of rtv)

IMO there is a "huffing" noise out the intake. Definitely an air noise. (air cleaner removed). I haven't been able to pay too much attention to the exhaust aside from the looks.

I will double check timing marks tmw and look into timing light.

Timing light requires special tools...wait...tkming these trucks requires special tools.

Huff out intake is a valve related isse...do search for Post Mortem in thread titles...My chuff thread will come up you can see results of innaction

Why RTV?

horn12007

Reaction score
Timing light requires special tools...wait...tkming these trucks requires special tools.

Huff out intake is a valve related isse...do search for Post Mortem in thread titles...My chuff thread will come up you can see results of innaction

Why RTV?

Thanks for your help. The RTV was to put my order into a certain price range.
With advance auto, I had a $20 coupon. There is also an online code for $20 off $50 or more. So I purchased 6 GPs and added a small item to get a little over $70. I used the $20 coupon (has to be used first) to get to about $50, then used the code for $20 more off....Around $33 with tax. For the last 2, I made a separate order. It put me around $23.....At that price point, I could either take 20% off or add about $7 in items to get to $30 (The RTV was around $7). At $30, you can get $10 off with a code. So, for a few dollars I got a big tube of RTV that I will use in the future.

I will take a look of those threads soon.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy 2 more glows' so when the old ones quit you dont have to buy new return lines from knocking them loose!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya..no **** buy 8 replace 8

Dont buy e sparkplugs for a V8 SBF or any other...why by 6 of 8 glow plugs??? Kinda like buying a 3 pack of condoms when u have 4 hot n ready ladies...:dunno

horn12007

Reaction score
Buy 2 more glows' so when the old ones quit you dont have to buy new return lines from knocking them loose!

I don't understand this at all? lol. I guess once I replace the GPs I'll understand. Going to learn a lot about diesels (especially) 7.3s real soon!

Riotwarrior - I actually saw your video about the valves a few days ago. Will definitely take off VCs and look for some crud. (just for future reference, search just "mortem" only brought up a few results - easier to find) Thanks for all that though. the video taught me a lot. Expecting the worst and hoping for a little less than the worst LOL. This truck is going to put me in the poor house!

horn12007

Reaction score
Ya..no **** buy 8 replace 8

Dont buy e sparkplugs for a V8 SBF or any other...why by 6 of 8 glow plugs??? Kinda like buying a 3 pack of condoms when u have 4 hot n ready ladies...:dunno

haha. I worded it strange/wrong/______. I should have said something along the lines of "6 out of the 8 GPs were on the first order and the last 2 were on the second order"
- Ordering it that way was the cheapest way to do it.

Don't worry. They were zd9 Motorcraps. I don't plan on buying SBF parts at all. I'm not really a ford guy. Rather have SBC...Like the LS engines.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this at all? lol. I guess once I replace the GPs I'll understand. Going to learn a lot about diesels (especially) 7.3s real soon!

Riotwarrior - I actually saw your video about the valves a few days ago. Will definitely take off VCs and look for some crud. (just for future reference, search just "mortem" only brought up a few results - easier to find) Thanks for all that though. the video taught me a lot. Expecting the worst and hoping for a little less than the worst LOL. This truck is going to put me in the poor house!

Advanced search

Post mortem select thread titles then put my userne in...voila should be 2 threads n 2 only iirc.

But I was the bad teacher and forgot that tip sorry.

Glad the post mortem helped. I am not saying yours is like that...that was mine.

Same advanced search tech 101 my username...bam...a few threads hopefully all 3 timing ones

Ok now 6 + 2 gp makes sense