7.3 idi problems

Tcn7.3

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the forum I have a 92 f250 with 7.3 idi I just replace the valley pan and have a facite duralift fuel pump and I put a new fuel return kit on it . It turns over hard weather it's cold or warm and it smokes black just at idle and when driving its really noisy it wasn't like this before it had 296,000 on it I think it's timing no matter what I do I can't seem to figure it out any help would be great

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
If you put a new IP on did you remove the pump from the gear or did you remove the gear housing with gear attached to the pump.
Also anytime you replace the IP the pump needs to be timed to the engine, which maybe your problem.

Tcn7.3

Reaction score
I used my old ip pump and I realized after I took the ip off that I didn't take the gear off I just pulled. The pump off with the cover from what I hear that is the wrong way to do it how to I go about fixing this

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oh my.. We made a messy pulling the pump and cover as one piece... There was just a post yesterday showing how to fix this mistake... The poster made it look simple with all the pics. I will attempt to locate that post..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well for no good reason I can't get on the post about the gear timing article you need to look at. So here is the posting name.... Timing ip with the mt 1480 meter and luminosity probe. It was originated on 4-6-13 around 10 am. These is a great pictorial of how to correct the gear timing problem you have. I also have included a picture of that the cam gear timing marks looks like. What your needing to do is get the cam gear timed to the injection pump gear. Thats the "Y" marks and not the Dot mark.. The dot mark is supposed to match up on the cank dot mark. Both the cam and injection pump gear are the same number off teeth and they are double whats on the crank gear.. Thats just how things are. The pic I'm posting is not as clear as I wanted it to be but you can see all the gear timing marks correctly set. Its just the Y marks are a little light because of the flash.. I'm horrible with a camera...

Tcn7.3

Reaction score
Thanks if I turn the engine over with a ratchet and use the line on the balancer and match it up with the zero on the shield above the balancer will that be tdc and line up the gears then I can pull the ip and set it to y at the 6oclock position

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off you need to open the post I mentioned about the mt1480 luminosity timing. That has all the information you need to fix this.. But if you can't I will walk you thru this.. See how my top gear is sitting on the cam gear. See the pin location in the injection pump gear. What you need to do is get this on your gears. Now I feel your gear timing is wrong so follow along here. That injection pump gear needs to be set on the cam gear corrctly to the "Y" timing marks. Easy way to do that is remove the gear from the cover by removing the injection pump from it. Thats using a 5/16 12 point socket on those three small bolts that connects the pump to the gear. Now when the gear is alone on the bench make a mark from the top straight down to the "Y" mark. You will have to know for sure you are at top dead center number one cylinder. This can be done by removing the number one glow plug a turning the engine over till air comes out the glow plug hole. Careful because its going to be high pressure is your using the starter to crank it over. See that the timing mark on the crank campner is at the zero mark on the timing tab. Then use a flashlite and a small inspection mirror to look down at the cam gear. It must be showing the mark thats the "Y" also. If it shows up as the Dot mark then your 180 degrees out of gear time and the engine needs to be turned another one turn of the crank.. Remember 2 turns of the crank equals one turn of the cam or the injection pump gear because they are both twice as large as the crank gear. I really hope I'm helping you thru this and looking at the posting about the mt1480 timing wil help. If not please post up whats needed. Plenty of other helpful members are around here too...

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll add this to what Gary has told you. At this point you need all the help and tips you can get. This is from an old post, maybe even old enough to be from the previous site many of us used.

I just remembered that on friday when I went over to visit Paul at DAS he mentioned to me a way to get the pump gear aligned once the cover has been removed that sounds a lot easier than screwing around with a flashlight and mirror on a stick and stuff.

What you do is lift off the injection pump cover and then the gear. Find the "y" mark at the bottom which points to the tooth that is supposed to align with a dot on the cam gear below(the one you can't see when it's assembled. From that tooth, you count up the gear towards the top on both sides 19 teeth. Put a mark on the 19th tooth on each side, then scribe a line between the two. This line will now run across the front of the gear, and be just above the deck when the gear is lowered into position. You can easily tell if it is out one tooth or not as the line will not be level with the top of the block. You can then lower the cover onto the gear all the while watching the mark to see it doesn't move. Too easy!!

Should look kinda like this.....pic here..

Hope that helps someone, I haven't tried it myself yet, but you can bet I will soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tcn7.3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys truck runs great now . Does any one know how much moose mister injectors are and a moose ip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle