7.3 idi MAJOR antifreeze leak , need help

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went on a 600 mile trip last weekend and 250 miles into it i stopped at a rest area and noticed a very steady stream of antifreeze leaking from the front of my engine . i managed to make my trip safley by adding 2 gallons of water every 100 miles. i tried to see where its coming from and im stumped , i thought for sure it would be water pump or front cover but it appears to be coming out of the front main seal on the oil pan ? what could this be ? its gotta be fixed asap cuz i NEED this truck for a 400 mile trip this weekend. any help would be great , thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on the water pump. If it were leaking from the front main seal, the oil would be full of coolant. It may be leaking from the front of the oil cooler, the lower radiator hose manifold on the drivers side, or from a hole in the radiator as well.

Any oil in the coolant or any coolant in the oil?

Heath

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no thats what confused me was there was no oil in coolant or coolant in oil , im gonna go take a better look at it tonight but ill post up with what i find or don't find

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Give the fan a shake to see if the water pump bearings are going away. My bet is its the water pump too. They have a weep hole under them so when the seal fails it drips out from there. Best of luck on what you find and be careful if you remove the pump. The top two bolts are very length specific and must be returned to the same location. They along with the two lower bolts reach into the oil pan side of the motor so use some rtv sealant on the threads...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too think it's the water pump, but that fan sprays coolant everywhere or whatever else happens to be leaking in the area making the diagnosis a bit hard. To what icanfixall said about the bolt length, I'd like to add that I seem to recall a Ford TSB issued on that because they upgraded the pump boss thickness. For that reason it was really important that if you had an upgraded housing you also had the longer top bolts and if you didn't have the upgraded housing you didn't use the upgraded longer bolts. I swapped a water pump about 4 years ago and it had a pretty good leak in the area you describe. Worst part was getting the water pump flange clean of old gasket and sealing material, that and fan clutch removal which is always tricky. It's probably a good idea to use the Ford/Motorcraft water pump if you can still get them. These usually come with a copy of said TSB and they appropriate bolts. A NAPA new, not reman unit is probably an acceptable substitute. Again, it's imperative to make sure the correct bolts go with the correct casting and that the mating surfaces are perfectly clean. The only other thing to worry about is you must make sure to use the correct permatex sealer on your bolts, otherwise you may still have leaks. Good luck and feel free to post back with any questions. Try to get cracking if you need it this weekend it is an evil job. I spent several days on cleaning the pump mounting flange but I am no mechanic and it went faster when I decided to get serious and get my dremel and an abrasive wheel after it. I was scared I might punch through that thin metal on the engine but more scared of leaving gasket material behind and having to do the project over when I had a term paper to write.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water pump. It always looks like the front crank area, but it never is.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys are good...... water pump bearings were toasted. only place that had a brand new pump was oreiley's so i got it rather than reman. all the bolts were rtv'd and put in the correct place , cleaned the surface on the front cover with a air dremel and i have to say i thought it was gonna be a pain to change it but in less than two hours it was done and ready again . thanks for the great advice guys and fast responses , now i ll be able to make the trip this weekend to get the 63 inch tires for the play truck:D. thanks again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Watch the coolant level in the overflow tank... These motors sometimes air lock and never fill up with coolant... Then a head gets hot. Best thing to do is warm it up and drive it a few miles. Then part it and recheck the level next morning on a cold motor. Check both the radiator and overflow tank. Fill as needed. Usually takes me doing this twice but you may have gotten all the air out too. Just something to check up on...