7.3 idi down in St. Clair,Mo

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was driving down the interstate and pulled over at a rest stop. When I started my truck i noticed a ticking or knocking sound from i think the top of the engine. Didn't think much of it so i got back on the interstate. As soon as i got back up to speed i noticed a huge cloud of white smoke so i pulled over and shut off the truck. Got under it and heard what sounded like a fluid draining through the exhaust. Restarted it and the smoke came again so i shut it back off and checked the oil. Didn't look like any water/coolant in it but it was all the way up the dipstick. After that the truck won't even crank over. I need help asap. I can't afford to wait and pay a shop. Call or text 9183270115 if you are in the area and can help me out. Stranded in St. Clair, Missouri.Oh yea, the truck was lacking power the few miles before this happened and it did not overheat.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your head gasket may have blown. When you say it won't turn over, is it hydrolocked or battery/ starter problem? If its hydrolocked, you will need to pull the glow plugs and turn it over to blow any coolant out. You can try a can or two of head gasket sealer in it if you can get it going to see if it will make it home.
Good luck

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I figured it was the headgasket. I assume it's hydrolocked. I'll have it towed home but before i drive it again what do i need to do other than changing the head gasket?