7.3 not starting! Damsel in distress!

Artichokeheart

Reaction score
I was introduced to this forum by a friend recently, and a few issues have cropped up in my work truck. This truck also happens to be my daily driver at the moment, so I am now a girl stranded on top of a mountain with no means of transportation! I was hoping to pick the collective brain to see if there are any ideas as to what’s wrong with her.

Ok, so I have a 2002 F350 7.3 Power Stroke that over a 3 day period it went from a slow turn over and starting, to a no crank no start. However, when I initially turn the key there is a clicking. After that, nothing.

Troubleshooting:

• The batteries were placed on a battery tender for 18 hours and showed a reading of 13v. When taken off, I attempted a few turnovers After that, the reading was down to 12.5v.
  • When hooked up to an OBD2 scanner, I received the code 1670- electronic feedback, signal, not detected. Is it possible that this could be related to the truck not starting?
  • There is still power at the dash cluster
  • Watched a YouTube video which led me to purchase a shift tube bushing- possible resolution?

And this is where I will leave it to the experts. Any info will be much appreciated!
Thanks for your time.

WasteOBurner

Reaction score
potter valley, california. mendocino county
I am the friend that's helping the OP artichoke, pretty familiar with this amazing forum, and idi/diesel wrenching. I'm trying to guide Artichoke, to be an independent psd mechanic, due to not finding good mechanics locally, and being expensive. With this forum anyone can do it.
The truck was starting normally, up to few months ago, and had become more and more intermittent. The batteries were replaced in February, but the last time we started it, during a 90° day, no spin at first. Put the truck in neutral, and it started. The truck hasn't started since. I'm basically going to be as diagnostic as possible, I don't throw money at problems, but we did order a shift tube bushing, seems like a solid investment in the right direction for 6$.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just to make sure I understand the issue correctly you currently have no starter engagement?

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wore out shift tube bushing will definitely hold the shifter in the correct position so that it will read that it's in park or neutral so it will turn over, but that won't cause a "slow spin" that will be a "no spin" or maybe "intermittent". Those bushings are miserable on those steering colums.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really you might hold the key like you're starting and wiggle the shifter to see if it goes. Then that would tell you about the bushings.

Artichokeheart

Reaction score
We have had intermittent success with wiggling the shift handle, or putting the shift handle into neutral. However, that did not work the other day when we did it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4, then yeah, you're on track with the bushings. And I'm shooting from the hip here, but maybe if the bushings have been worn for a while there might be some other wear and tear on the "shifter barrel thingy". Keep us posted and post pictures of what you find. You'll get it!!!.......ITS NOT DEAD YET!!!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because I am currently having similar issues with my 99 superduty I have some things for you to try.

On the passenger fender under the hood try jumping the large posts of the solenoid with a screwdriver. If the starter engages then my guess would be the MLPS.

If the starter only clicks when jumping the solenoid, move down to the starter. (MAKE FOR 100% SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN PARK BEFORE TRYING THIS!!!!) Crawl under the truck and try jumping the large posts on the solenoid on the starter (this requires a fairly short screwdriver to get the correct angle and clear the frame) when doing this make sure you hit the copper bar that runs from the solenoid into the starter motor and not the stud on the solenoid.

if the starter spins then the nut that bolts the copper bar to the solenoid has likely come loose. It is also possible that the starter mounted solenoid is bad. If the starter fails to spin at this point then the starter is likely bad.

Let me know if you need more details or pictures, I just got mine started a couple hours ago and moved up close to the house so I can work on it.

James

Artichokeheart

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info you guys, I really appreciate it. I’ll check on the shifter barrel thingy when we get in there to replace the bushings. If this doesn’t work I guess it’s on to the solenoid. I’ll keep you posted! Thanks again.
Kathryn

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with @cheap bronco s thread this thread was brought to my attention..........I sure hope this damsel got undistressed. If I'd gone this long without a truck, I'd be having a nervous breakdown.......long past distressed.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online