6BT Question

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6bt that I am putting in my 1990 ford F250. Now I bought the wrecked Dodge for $50. But I have a problem. I took the body off the truck so as to have access to the engine. I have started it without the turbo hooked up the intake just to try it out. it runs fine at a idle. Then I hooked up the turbo the problems started. At an idle it sounds fine but bring the RPM's up it pukes oil out the dipstick hole. Has anyone had this problem before? Could the seal on the compressor side of the turbo be leaking pressure into the return line?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
That sounds like a logical first step. Sounds like the problem started after trying out the turbo so that's the source of the problem. The turbo is oil cooled so check to make sure the supply and return lines are hooked up and everything is right there. Then if the problem still exists take it to a turbo shop or get a replacement. Sounds like you may have a seal or something going bad in the housing somewhere.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that befor on holset turbos on heavy equipment. The shaft seal on the compressor side gave up and is forcing air into the oil return line. It's time for a new one.

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I found today. I took the breather hose off. With the turbo hooked up there is steady Pressure coming out of the breather. As the RPM's come up there is more pressure. If breather is closed off dipstick blows out. This is not pulsing as if shut off by a valve. Any more ideas?

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I found today. I took the breather hose off. With the turbo hooked up there is steady Pressure coming out of the breather. As the RPM's come up there is more pressure. If breather is closed off dipstick blows out. This is not pulsing as if shut off by a valve. Any more ideas?

Have it figured out I think. The vacuum pumps into the crank case and vacuum tube was wide open. I pluged it and oil air from breather was dramaticaly shut off.