671 detroit swap??

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What I have been told my many a truck driver that has driven a medium/heavy duty truck with a Detroit under the hood....

When you walk up to the truck in the morning, before you get in, slam you hand in the drivers door, that way you will be pissed off enough at the truck to drive it.....

Detroit = Drive it like you stole it..... and they are after you......

Another I have seen in a sig on here

Detroit's, converting Diesel to smoke and noise for the last 60 years.......

That being said..... gotta love the sound of a Screaming Jimmy!!!!!

U.F.O.

Reaction score
Drove them in the 70s, no power, loud, stinky go to bed at night you could taste the diesel you smelt of diesel and you could here the noise in your head. you could hear them coming for miles. 2100 rpms would be to low speed. I dont miss them .!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have to disagree with that. I've never dealt with a 2-stroke Detroit in a land-based application, so I can't comment there. However, in my experience, they make great boat engines. They're essentially designed to be run at or near the governor constantly, which is perfect for a boat at cruising speed. For the same reason, they also make good power generators...I can't remember the last time I was on a boat that didn't have a 2-71 generating electrical power (except for one boat that has marinized M-B OM616's).

The fact that parts for them are dirt cheap and they're simple to repair, only helps their case IMHO...I admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for the 6-71 (I cut my teeth wrenching on one at age 14), but I firmly do believe that they have a place in this world.

I also admit that I'm curious to see how they would do on the road...I haven't given up my idea of someday finding a 6L-71-powered Crown bus to play with :angel:

My father had a boat for 7 years that was powered by twin 6-71 turbos. You wanna talk about loud:sly. Man I loved that boat.

Show me another engine that displaces 426 CU IN that gets 450 hp at 2100 rpm. (marinized version. OTR N/A was ratede at 238 horses)

also it had a manufacturing run of about 60 years.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DETROIT ROXX!!!!!! :yell:

Seen my sig?

I rebuilt that 6-71 ten years ago.

Here's a Cummins v. Detroit story for you.

My boat... 40' long, 244HP Detroit N/A.

Their boat.... and braggin' hard about it too... 36', twin Cummins 450's for a whopping total power package of 900 ponies! WOOOOHOOO!

Yeah right.... more like don't know sheesh about torque beech-ez!

42' sail boat goes aground at highest tide of the year. Takes 'em three days to fail with a story about using a heli-crane to get it off the dirt.

I show up six tides lower than the twin Cumminz got. Put out all my line... full spool of 600' of 7/8" poly.

Pulled for ten minutes before suction broke and drug it off the mud.

Oh!? Did I already say that????

One thing about power.... gotta know how to use it, when to apply it and where it all happens.... 900HP of Cummins doesn't produce schnitz unless turbo's kick in.... 244HP of pure noise will disturb mud enough to shake it loose at all R'z! :hail :hail :rotflmao

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Seen my sig?

I rebuilt that 6-71 ten years ago.

Here's a Cummins v. Detroit story for you.

My boat... 40' long, 244HP Detroit N/A.

Their boat.... and braggin' hard about it too... 36', twin Cummins 450's for a whopping total power package of 900 ponies! WOOOOHOOO!

Yeah right.... more like don't know sheesh about torque beech-ez!

42' sail boat goes aground at highest tide of the year. Takes 'em three days to fail with a story about using a heli-crane to get it off the dirt.

I show up six tides lower than the twin Cumminz got. Put out all my line... full spool of 600' of 7/8" poly.

Pulled for ten minutes before suction broke and drug it off the mud.

Oh!? Did I already say that????

One thing about power.... gotta know how to use it, when to apply it and where it all happens.... 900HP of Cummins doesn't produce schnitz unless turbo's kick in.... 244HP of pure noise will disturb mud enough to shake it loose at all R'z! :hail :hail :rotflmao

Has NOTHING to do with power. Has EVERYTHING to do with the prop.

Kinda like a pulling truck trying to pull a sled with 4 bald tires vs a truck with 4 fresh tires. Which do you think is going to get it done