671 detroit swap??

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
A 6-71 swap would be awesome, except for the physics of just trying to fit it into the truck! You would likely be better off finding a med duty frame with one and putting your body on it!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6-71 is huge! It weighs 2100+ lbs! And is 54 inches long! That would be hard to squeeze into a F-series truck.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been done, unless this picture was Photoshopped ;Sweet

The 6-71's been efficiently converting diesel fuel into noise since World War II :D

Attachments

• '74 Ford pickup with 6-71 repower.jpg
    '74 Ford pickup with 6-71 repower.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 110

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or a 653 or 6v71 the 6v53 is a common one as detroit swaps go
anyone think an 6l53 the flat coach bus version?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
great vids brad....how would one of these stack up to a built idi or dt360?

Not even comparable. A dt360 can be built to OVER 1000HP with STOCK parts. Just a IP and turbo is all you need. Those Detroits were PATHETIC. Any one I have ever driven is UNBEARBLY loud and will not get out of its own way. They are only good for one thing in my book, a boat anchor

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are only good for one thing in my book, a boat anchor
I have to disagree with that. I've never dealt with a 2-stroke Detroit in a land-based application, so I can't comment there. However, in my experience, they make great boat engines. They're essentially designed to be run at or near the governor constantly, which is perfect for a boat at cruising speed. For the same reason, they also make good power generators...I can't remember the last time I was on a boat that didn't have a 2-71 generating electrical power (except for one boat that has marinized M-B OM616's).

The fact that parts for them are dirt cheap and they're simple to repair, only helps their case IMHO...I admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for the 6-71 (I cut my teeth wrenching on one at age 14), but I firmly do believe that they have a place in this world.

I also admit that I'm curious to see how they would do on the road...I haven't given up my idea of someday finding a 6L-71-powered Crown bus to play with :angel:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I also admit that I'm curious to see how they would do on the road...I haven't given up my idea of someday finding a 6L-71-powered Crown bus to play with :angel:

Just look at any hill(not even a mountain) and start downshifting. NO BALLS.

They make a N/A IDI towing 10,000lbs look like a rocket ship:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online