671 detroit swap??

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
They are designed to SCREAM to be in their powerband, just like every 2 stoke is
You obviously have never met an EMD.

Our 16v149's rated at 1800hp feel like they had a ton more torque than our current Cat c32's rated at 2000hp. Same boat, same gears, same props.
Generalizing any group of engines will only make you look stupid in the end.... Best to deal with things on a case by case basis.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Our 16v149's rated at 1800hp feel like they had a ton more torque than our current Cat c32's rated at 2000hp. Same boat, same gears, same props.
Generalizing any group of engines will only make you look stupid in the end.... Best to deal with things on a case by case basis.

I'd take any Detroit any day of the week.

Too bad 0Klownifornia and the EPA see's fit to measure performance out the stack instead of out the crank.

Beetches!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

How much tq is the DD and how much is the CAT?

"Feel" means nothing

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

"Feel" means nothing

I dunno bout that discounting feel thingy. On boats, driving is a lot about feelings.... no not the Ofra type feelings either.

I do agree about knowing where the torque bands are, how much its 'sposedta produce, but then again, if you feel like 2000hp, yet got better performance out of the 1800...there could be a whole lotta truth to it.

Gotsta remember where the torque occurs is sometimes waaaay more important than how much torque or HP can it produce.

Funny thing about this low end torque and commercial boats, we don't need our power houses to be high end squealer, we need them low and "on" right now.

Imagine those sled pullers driving on ice, trying to pull in a straight line with decent, but not reliable traction. With a twisted prop, this gives the traction on ice, but there is still a lot of slide going on from the props themselves, wind, current and squirrel nature of the load.

When one applies for power at the throttle of a Cummins or Cat, the throttle up is slooooow and smooth.... too much time when trying to correct a course, stop and snap turn a load or missing a bridge stanchion. This is all done at low rpm high torque.

2 strokers gives you immediate and very positive energy. 4 strokers make you wait until its too late.

That is a factual feeling that has nothing to do with printed torque statistics.

You seem to be missing the point of low end torque, not high end torque.... very different creatures and application sweet spots.

EMD's ROCK!

But then again... so does a Colt-Pielstick 16V SC2.5. Has individual heads too.... Saah-Weet! 10k HP at 520 rpm's!! Now there's a long strokin power maker! At 84 tons... not so sure it will even fit in your tug!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

"Feel" means nothing

Sometimes it does, on paper a STOCK PSD will spank a N/A IDI, but when driving around empty the IDI (properly tuned of course) makes the PSD (1st gen) it's biotch.

Gotsta remember where the torque occurs is sometimes waaaay more important than how much torque or HP can it produce.

^That right there is why.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sometimes it does, on paper a STOCK PSD will spank a N/A IDI, but when driving around empty the IDI (properly tuned of course) makes the PSD (1st gen) it's biotch.

^That right there is why.

SO your stock 180hp,365tq truck will make a 225hp,450tq truck its *****?

Yeah, oK. Numbers do not lie

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

The stock obs stroke has to spool it's turbo before it gets any performance, back when my truck was stock a friend of mine had a stock 95 PSD SCLB 2wd with the E4OD and 4.10s same as my truck except the engine and his was red and white. His had 10,000 less miles on it, and still running empty mine at 185 advertised horsepower (it's a late 92) would walk his in a race and was more fun to drive around town...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables to take into effect Driving ability, truck weight, gears. And the biggest thing of all. ACTUAL NUMBERS. Your truck could be the best running N/A IDI out there and his truck could of been the worst running PSD.

Dont forget, you truck is a reg cab and his is supercab. At least 500lb weight difference

You can take 2 IDENTICAL trucks(same year, trans,milage,engine, gears,cab) and one will ALWAYS run better than the other. No 2 things run the same

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually, numbers are deceiving.

Too many people rely on the top numbers, but do not look at where those numbers occur. Far more only see HP as there reference to what makes up power.

When DeepRoots says the 2000hp feels less than the 1800hp engine, he's feeling the lack of torque within critical moments of demand.

Working engines are nothing like tractor pullers or drag vehicles... in spite of the record breaking truck with Detroit power.

An engine at work needs to be installed based on typical work, with moments of higher output and where they occur, and if they're even obtainable under typical conditions. So yes, when a 2000hp engine feeeeeels weaker than the 1800hp engine, it probably is in the power bands it's being operated in.

Like the twin 450 Cummins which couldn't pull schnitz at low end, and got totally spanked in the low end range, their engine choice was a huge mistake for the necessary application. On the other hand, it outperforms in all other aspects.

The point being, you have to bring the right tool for the job at hand. Unfortunately for them, they have nothing of the sort in their inventory, and after three days of wasted fuel, labor and a whole lotta unnecessary strain, the Cummins got spanked because they brought a knife to a gun fight.

Anyone can brag about their HP/tq settings, but unless they know where to apply them.... they.... don't... have... schnitz.

On single geared applications, this is especially true, like on vessels. A vehicle can get away with a lot more by finessing gearing, between clutching, tranny's and read ends.

I would say to DeepRoots to chnge out gears to a higher ratio, so that 2000hp engine can spool better within the torque range. His dilemma will be 'splainin to the owner why he needs to spend $50,000 to r/r a perfectly good tranny, to use more fuel in normal applications.... his close quarter maneuvering and high head current days, all justifiable, but on the normal or typical loooong pulling days.... will they just be using up more fuel for the benefits of small moments of need? We see this debate many times when someone wants to change out the rear end.... same type of argument. Gotta define exactly what you want specifically, and/or generally... then weight the benefits.

BTW- my 40'er is designed to torque away at jobs like the one I'm bragging about, with a compromised tranny to get somewhere. Also, the 6-71 only burns 4 gallons/hour at 1200rpm with a speed of 6.5 knots average. At 1500rpms, it burns 4.74gal/hr, at 17-1900rpms, I get about 8 knots, but fuel consumption goes to 6gal/hour. I'm into higher rpm, but my torque range is less than at 1200, which means the power is slipping and I'm not being pushed further per rotation of prop, in spite of its faster rotation for the rate of fuel burn. My best ever top speed run with empty tanks, no load aboard, going with the wind and current was 10.2 knots and 2000rpm.... of course that is only intermittent rpm because the DD isn't rated to run but temporarily at that rpm.... it's just a waste anyway when we look at the torque curves and fuel consumption increases.

This is the kind of cr@p commercial vessel owners and captains must think about, and dwell over daily. Reliable power, fuel efficient, yet make lotsa power fast when necessary. Detroit Diesel does all of that... again.... too bad Klownifornia and the EPA only cares about what comes out the stack, not what comes off the crank. In the case of Klownifornia, they'll lie about it to get their way.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Actually, numbers are deceiving.

Too many people rely on the top numbers, but do not look at where those numbers occur. Far more only see HP as there reference to what makes up power.

When DeepRoots says the 2000hp feels less than the 1800hp engine, he's feeling the lack of torque within critical moments of demand.

Working engines are nothing like tractor pullers or drag vehicles... in spite of the record breaking truck with Detroit power.

An engine at work needs to be installed based on typical work, with moments of higher output and where they occur, and if they're even obtainable under typical conditions. So yes, when a 2000hp engine feeeeeels weaker than the 1800hp engine, it probably is in the power bands it's being operated in.

Like the twin 450 Cummins which couldn't pull schnitz at low end, and got totally spanked in the low end range, their engine choice was a huge mistake for the necessary application. On the other hand, it outperforms in all other aspects.

The point being, you have to bring the right tool for the job at hand. Unfortunately for them, they have nothing of the sort in their inventory, and after three days of wasted fuel, labor and a whole lotta unnecessary strain, the Cummins got spanked because they brought a knife to a gun fight.

Anyone can brag about their HP/tq settings, but unless they know where to apply them.... they.... don't... have... schnitz.

So show me a dyno chart of your precious DD and where the torque comes on. Just because the DD has max torqur at 2,000RPM dosent mean SQUAT. that is 200rpm away from max rpm

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So show me a dyno chart of your precious DD and where the torque comes on. Just because the DD has max torqur at 2,000RPM dosent mean SQUAT. that is 200rpm away from max rpm

I think I already 'splained that one several posts back...compared both DD and Cummins where their bands sit.

One of the failures of the DD pullers we see in the video is, their torque gets them off the line real well, but, Detroits have a very narrow band of torque, almost all at the low end. We see this in the truckers explainations of winding out their trucks when hauling freight....well, when they're winding the DD's out, all the winding is just plain waste....they don't realize they can shift earlier once the pedal becomes hollow.

Once those pullers get going and R's start going up, they lose their torque band quickly...where-as the Cummins torque, increases as R's go up in a much wider band of torque....BUT....they gotta produce way more air, and the only way to do it, is to make the turbo spool, the turbo will not spool until it get's R's. turbo's get their R's from exhaust, more exhaust is produced with higher R's..... when dead heading, R's cannot go up unless the R's are increased through clutch slippage. How many times you gunna make me say this??

In a deadhead pull with near zero slip, a Cummins will go nowhere! A Detroit will pull through it all day long.

In the pulls, they're going for distance. If they changed the rules to largest weight moved, I think the Detroit would kick the Cummins *****....now we're also talking about breaking real big drive trains too.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables to take into effect Driving ability, truck weight, gears. And the biggest thing of all. ACTUAL NUMBERS. Your truck could be the best running N/A IDI out there and his truck could of been the worst running PSD.

Dont forget, you truck is a reg cab and his is supercab. At least 500lb weight difference

You can take 2 IDENTICAL trucks(same year, trans,milage,engine, gears,cab) and one will ALWAYS run better than the other. No 2 things run the same

By SCLB I meant standard cab long bed, sorry for the confusion there I'm just stuck in the habit of standard, extended, and crew, not the new labels of regular, super, and crew.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
"Feel" means nothing

********. I spend 8-9 months a year standing on top of these engines, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week..... I sleep 20ft from them, I know them better than most people will ever know an engine.

1800rpms are nice, but you are forgetting, there are two governors on these engines. One is in the V, the other is at the end of the shaft....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Staff online