6.9l Hesitation, Revving Engine

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
6.9l Hesitation & Intermittent Rough Idle? Stumped

So today I checked my water separator for water, by draining a bit of fuel from it - I have the type that's in front of the driver side firewall.

Tonight I went for a quick drive and the truck started easy as always, but after idling for a while went in a cycle of revving up/down- like it wasn't getting enough fuel? Or like an o2 sensor was malfunctioning? Pah-****, pah-****, pah-****. Never died. And would stop doing it for minutes at a time. Revved on the pushof the pedal fine. Only hesitated once under power while driving.

Clogged fuel filter? I put a new one in like 500 miles ago?! I don't have a spare fuel filter so I can't just swap it now to figger if that's the source of the problem.

Does this have to do with me having bled diesel from the separator? Did I need to burp the system with the schrader valve after doing this?

I'm running 100% dino diesel.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've gone and done it now! People often seem to have trouble getting that thing to reseal after it has been drained. I'm not sure what to tell you. I bypassed mine, but running without a water sep can be risky and aftermarket can be expensive. You could also swap to a 7.3 style filter/seperator, but you'll need a header from a 7.3 diesel.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I actually have a 7.3 separator - at least what I think is one. The one mounted now is the pull ring type. So we think that I have air in the lines as a result of my messing with the damned thing? The guy that sold me the truck gave me boxes and boxes of spare parts - even a brand new complete exhaust :)

Amazing what you get for $250.00 sometimes :)

You've gone and done it now! People often seem to have trouble getting that thing to reseal after it has been drained. I'm not sure what to tell you. I bypassed mine, but running without a water sep can be risky and aftermarket can be expensive. You could also swap to a 7.3 style filter/seperator, but you'll need a header from a 7.3 diesel.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Ok think I may have solved the issue. I drained a bit of fuel from the separator again, then made sure the pin was seated well. Bled the schrader - lots of air came out. Cranked like a madman for about 30 seconds twice and it fired - then idled smoothly until I turned it off.

Any comments?

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Air inlet

As you can see from my sig. I ripped that out after dinking around with it for 2 weeks, not sure what to replace it with.
Glad I had 2 good batteries.

LCjeff

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the years that will have the superior fuel separator? I'm going to hit a pick -n-pull for one.

To bypass the factory fuel separator, do I just replumb the fuel lines to bypass it? Or should I do something with the "water in fuel sensor" to get it to fire with the 7.3 filter setup? Is there an FAQ somewhere on how to do this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel